Blichmann boil screen for pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blichman dip tubes SNAP in and out, that is what he is referring to. No tools needed on thier dip tubes.

I dont know if I can use this, my SS coil in the BK may interfere...

Good to know. I have 3 but haven't taken them out of the box yet. Waiting on my stand. I just though there was an allen bolt holding that collar in place. Thanks!

Well I am going to have to buy one. I would imagine after all this wait, that they work really well. Has he mentioned when they will be for sale?

Good to know. I have 3 but haven't taken them out of the box yet. Waiting on my stand. I just though there was an allen bolt holding that collar in place. Thanks!

The collar is held in place with an allen bolt...

but the collar stays on the dip tube when you remove it, the collar is simply there to provide rotational location for the dip tube.

No tools needed

Just guessing, but I bet the hook is so that you can pull it out of the kettle to add late addition hops. If you're adding hops at 60 minutes, 10 minutes and 2 minutes you're not going to want to use three of these right? So for later additions you fish it out (maybe with a wire coat hanger or something, add your addition and drop it back in.

There better be an easy way to open and close it though - it's going to be hot after coming out of the boil.

This is too small to hold the hops... really....

And if that were the case, just go buy a few 3" SS tea steeping balls

Since we are guessing, I will go on record and guess...

I think it is a filter of some sort. I do not think the hops go in it during the boil. I think it filters them out at the end of the boil. I don't know how, bu that is my guess. Maybe it is some kind of technology from the coffee industry, that big ass pile of hops would be pretty compacted in that canister.

I think it is a filter of some sort. I do not think the hops go in it during the boil. I think it filters them out at the end of the boil. I don't know how, bu that is my guess. Maybe it is some kind of technology from the coffee industry, that big ass pile of hops would be pretty compacted in that canister.

I hate being wrong, but that does make more sense.

If it sits in the kettle like it is sitting in the pics then it seems it would have to draw in wort from the bottom (or something*)...or else a lot of wort is gonna be left behind in the kettle.
* - we can only see one side, hard to tell what's on the other side.

Blichmann seem to put some thought into their designs so I would highly doubt that:
1. You're supposed to in any way 'load' it with hops.
2. Have to fish it out during the boil.
3. It leaves a lot of wort behind in the kettle.

That thing looks taller than the distance from the bottom of the kettle to the top of the dip tube, it has to have a slot/hole in the side.

It doesn't look like you could attach this to the dip tube prior to inserting the dip tube inside the kettle, and still get the whole assembly to rotate into place. So I'm guessing you have to install this piece similar to the way you install the false bottom, i.e. insert dip tube at angle, line up dip tube and the hole, rotate dip tube into place and lock it in. That is...IF this thing even utilizes the stock dip tube. Maybe it has it's own? EDIT: That was stupid. Who says you would need to 'rotate' it in any way...just shove it in. Durrrr.

But I still have no clue. I have a feeling if we could see the other side of it we could easily see how it worked.

OK - sorry for the suspense. It is really quite unique yet very simple. The finger pull is to lift the solid shield to expose a fine perf filter. End of the boil you whirlpool, let things settle for 15-20 min as usual and begin draining. The shield covers the fine perf at the bottom 2" and all the flow is diverted through the large perf at the top which is intended to block whole hops. This keeps the settled hops undisturbed and lets 90% of the wort travel straight through instead of ramming all the wort through a fine filter. Since all the pellet material is at the bottom very little transfers to the fermentor. When the wort level gets close to the top of the shield you use the finger pull to lift it and expose the fine perf. At that time slow the flow rate to allow the wort to permeate through the settled hops and work its way to the fine screen. We have measured up to a 95% filtration efficiency using a full pound of pellet hops in a 20 gal batch. We'll have our web updated in a couple days with more pics.

What you can't see in the pictures is a small hole on the side of it that you insert your dip tube through. Also there are 2 sizes of holes..finer holes behind the shield in the photos. At the end of your boil you vigorously whirlpool your wort. This causes hops to "volcano" towards the middle. The majority of the wort is strained through the coarser holes toward the top of the HopBlocker. When the wort level is a few inches from the bottom of the pot you pull up on the shield to expose the finer holes. According to John you will filter 90-95% of the break material and hops without plugging. Hope this helps.

Brian

indybeer, just placed my order for the filter, a 15g kettle, and some other small stuff. Make sure mine goes out first :)

Thanks Brian!! What a guy. Saw I posted on here about brewing the weekend and said 2 day wasn't necessary as he was dropping it in tonight! Saved me a few bucks. I wasn't aware of your site but I am now!

OK - sorry for the suspense. It is really quite unique yet very simple. The finger pull is to lift the solid shield to expose a fine perf filter. End of the boil you whirlpool, let things settle for 15-20 min as usual and begin draining. The shield covers the fine perf at the bottom 2" and all the flow is diverted through the large perf at the top which is intended to block whole hops. This keeps the settled hops undisturbed and lets 90% of the wort travel straight through instead of ramming all the wort through a fine filter. Since all the pellet material is at the bottom very little transfers to the fermentor. When the wort level gets close to the top of the shield you use the finger pull to lift it and expose the fine perf. At that time slow the flow rate to allow the wort to permeate through the settled hops and work its way to the fine screen. We have measured up to a 95% filtration efficiency using a full pound of pellet hops in a 20 gal batch. We'll have our web updated in a couple days with more pics.

Thanks for the info John. Much appreciated!

Thanks guys! I am going to drop both of your orders off at UPS on my way home tonight. I will email tracking numbers when I have them.

Brian

Thanks I will have to check your website out now. I have never heard of it.

May need to get rid of my tea balls. Does it work perfect with all pellet hops?

Is there a catch or latch for the shield once you lift it or do you have to hold it while your kettle drains the last 2"?

If I get this I may have to make a hook to pull it up. I don't want to reach in my hot brew pot and pull up in a piece of metal that is sitting in boiling wort

If I get this I may have to make a hook to pull it up. I don't want to reach in my hot brew pot and pull up in a piece of metal that is sitting in boiling wort

A s/s racking cane would be perfect...or a clothes hanger. The important thing is to use your paddle/spoon to hold the HopBlocker in place.

Hey guys - no need for anything fancy to lift the shield. I just use a racking cane to lift it and a stir paddle to hold the main body in place. Friction holds the shield up. Key factor to get the last 2 inches out is a slow drain. The filter plugging isn't the issue - it's getting the wort to flow through all the sediment. For whole hops I still recommend a big muslin grain bag...mostly to save a TON or wort loss from absorbtion. And I hate cleaning all those loose whole hops up.

Man, I am really in the mood for brewing a malty beer. I've had hop overload doing "HopBlocker" research this part year. Thank God my wife is a hop-head.

I have seen the basic pictures on the few sites that have them. Would you have any additional? I would like to see it mounted in a pot, both opened and closed. I have the original hop screen in my boilermaker and just wanted to see the new system mounted.

Bummer, I cant even use it... wont fit with my electric elements and integrated SS chiller. Looks nice though John...

BKWaterTestCenterView.jpg

Oh well...

Back