Blichmann 15 gal boilcoil and RIMS Rocket add on questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the 15 gallon boil coil and the RIMS Rocket add on from blichmann. Here are the links to both on MoreBeer.

http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann-boilcoil-15-gal-240.html

http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann-rims-rocket-addon.html

My only concern is the voltage and types of plugs required. I live in an older apartment and don't know the first thing about electrical work. The RIMS Rocket description says that it has a twist-lock L6-30P plug and is 3500 W, 240V.

The BoilCoil has the same plug and is 4500 W, 240 V.

Maybe there is a thread out there on this subject already (please link me if there is) but if not can anyone assure me that I'll be able to use this equipment with some work on my electrical.

I live in Chicago and its already 15-20 degrees in November, I'm gonna need to move my brewing inside.

240VAC can be found behind an electric range, or electric clothes dryer typically.

Aside from that, you'd have to roll your own, in most residences.

You'd have to modify the plug to fit anything existing. If you are wiring your own circuit in, then the possibilities are endless.

Most guys also use a GFCI circuit breaker on the circuit that powers the brewery as well, for obvious reasons.

And as far as a controller goes for both of these devices. Is it required? Can I build something that'll work with the temperature control without having to buy blichmanns $500+ tower of power.

And as far as a controller goes for both of these devices. Is it required? Can I build something that'll work with the temperature control without having to buy blichmanns $500+ tower of power.

While it's possible to run them without a controller, the cost to get a controller and the other necessary parts is well worth avoiding the headaches associated with not having one.

No, you wouldn't need to get a tower of power to run them.

Yes, but you'd still have a couple hundred into it with a PID, SSRs, enclosure, heatsinks, probes, etc.

While it's possible to run them without a controller, the cost to get a controller and the other necessary parts is well worth avoiding the headaches associated with not having one.

No, you wouldn't need to get a tower of power to run them.

Great, well maybe I'll continue to rule my fantasy football league and take the $1700 pot at the end and I'll just buy a tower of power for the ease.

Back