Blew the top, Using a blow off tube.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
So my Barley Wine went boom.... Got a good 8 foot left to pepper my walls and ceiling with some hoppy goodness. It must have been last night after it started fermenting, but what I want to know is that if after 12 hours of the top being off if the beer is ok.

I cleaned up the mess, re cleaned the tube and stopper and used sanitizer, and as soon as it was back on the blow off tube had bubbles going at a rate of 5 a sec. it was still going nuts. Should I scrap and re brew, or will it be ok, just not at good as if i had a monster blow off tube to handle the craziness?

Thanks Y'all

The beer will be fine. Since it was off gassing enough to blow the top, it was also off gassing enough to keep out any bad stuff

Awesome, thanks. That is what I was hopping was the case. Time to get back to getting beer cleaned up from the bathroom. :mug:

There are still some dried beer specks on my dining room ceiling from my first batch over 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure that was the primary reason I lost my deposit on an apt in school. That stout was stubborn! Shoulda never kept that primary in a room with white walls and a popcorn ceiling.

This IPA did the same...tasted awesome, I wouldn't worry. The picture shows that even using the proper amount of fermcap will give you problems.

IMG_1475.jpg

Here, I fixed that procedure for you. Make sure you do it correctly next time. :D

I will post a pic of the room with the beer on the top of the bathroom. I cleaned it, but it is still there. The SWMBO took the camera with her today. Sorry, Next time I will know that Pics first, Clean Second!

Back