Blending two brews to balance out hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehuddy

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, just finished kegging my third batch. My first batch was an IPA that I dry hopped with 2 oz of Citra because I heard it smells terrific with tons of tropical. Sounded great so I switched out what the recipe called for (Cascade) and used Citra instead. This batch was so wonderful, I decided to swap out all hops in the recipe for Citra for this go around.

After tasting the way overpowering all Citra brew, I took to the message boards only to find out what most of you probably would tell me - Citra is not a good bittering hop, use toward the end or dry hop! Too late, and I'm not sure I can drink the whole 5 gallons - it is just too overpowering bitterness or pungency or something that I can't describe too well since I am new, but doesn't taste good none the less. It isn't very balanced and totally overpowers any malt or tropical aromas that I got the first time.

So, I'm thinking about blending and hope someone can help me craft a recipe that might blend well with this Citra IPA I already have. I'm thinking a Pale Ale with small amounts of bittering hops since it already is so strong, maybe with Amarillo, Centennial or Cascade. Also, leave out any further additions, except maybe 1 oz of Citra dry hop after I blend to bring back the tropical aroma. Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Seems like a lot of trouble to make what at the end of the day will be 10 gallons of beer that's mediocre at best.

At the very least, I'd pick up a commercial brew of the profile you're looking for in the blending beer – sounds like more of an amber than a pale, a bit on the under-hopped side to counteract the over-hopped citra beer – and see if it's worth saving.

I have done that at the drinking stage. I'll have Shannon pour me two pints and I'll top one off with the other as I go. Get some pretty interesting blends, and all good I might add. Man Shannon give a strange look the first time, I explained to her that's how we do it in Seattle.... One of my favorites was using Cinder Cone from Deschutes and a stout from Snipe Mountain...so, I might just use the Citra bomb and pour 1/2's on occasion with what ever your next few batches are. And who knows, by the time you get done to the last few bottle you may be a bona fide hophead and really like what you have now, and the hops will fade after some time...

I think youre right. I need to consider if its worth 10 gallons of mediocre beer or just mix as I go with different beers and maybe find something I really like. THanks!

Bottle it and mix when drinking. I bet it makes an interesting black and tan.

Here's an update for anyone in the same boat as me - too much hop bitterness in the brew. I was thinking last night that what might work is to make the beer sweeter or maltier. I thought why not add orange like a Blue Moon. I zested 3 oranges and boiled the zest with a little water. Dumped that in with the zest in a metal mesh hop holder and today I cut an orange slice with a glass to mimick a Blue Moon and dang if I may have not stumbled onto something. An orangey IPA! It is a little sweeter, a little less hop forward, and still has nice hop flavor. Maybe something to try for Blue Moon fans!

Latest posts

Back