blending cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbossFogg

Reaction score
I had a very positive result recently pitching multiple yeasts after thinking I was experiencing fermentation lag due to low cell count. Turns out I had a cracked and leaky airlock stopper. It could be that the original culture did all the work, but after pitching two more differing strains of dry yeast and then mixing the two 5 gallon fermentors I had, of course a raging primary and some very fun black IPA. The dry yeasts were SafeAle (05 2000ml starter), then a Notti followed by a Lallemand west coast.

I'm planning to remake the recipe and actually considering making a blended yeast starter again. Any thoughts?

:rockin:

I had a very positive result recently pitching multiple yeasts after thinking I was experiencing fermentation lag due to low cell count. Turns out I had a cracked and leaky airlock stopper. It could be that the original culture did all the work, but after pitching two more differing strains of dry yeast and then mixing the two 5 gallon fermentors I had, of course a raging primary and some very fun black IPA. The dry yeasts were SafeAle (05 2000ml starter), then a Notti followed by a Lallemand west coast.

I'm planning to remake the recipe and actually considering making a blended yeast starter again. Any thoughts?

:rockin:

Not really. Except that you can research when you pitch them. You'll experience different results. And I don't think you really need a starter for dry yeast.

And remeber. If you harvest what you've pitched you probably won't get the same result for the next batch. The yeasties will not make babies cross-strains. They just work side by side.

Back