Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddlefish

Reaction score
Having issues ,crushed 1.2 gal of blackberries ( previously frozen ) added the crush to almost 3 gal of water plus #5 cane(dissolved ) . Not getting anything working yet , should I add a wine yeast ? I had also heard it is a bad idea to try it with water from a water softener , is this true ?:confused:

Having issues ,crushed 1.2 gal of blackberries ( previously frozen ) added the crush to almost 3 gal of water plus #5 cane(dissolved ) . Not getting anything working yet , should I add a wine yeast ? I had also heard it is a bad idea to try it with water from a water softener , is this true ?:confused:

Yes. Add yeast. Frozen fruit will not have any wild yeasts to start fermentation. Also consider adding some yeast nutrients to help the yeast produce a cleaner prduct for you.

Water from a water softener may have had some of the minerals stripped out that the yeast look for. That's Another good reason to add yeast nutrients.

Good luck! :)

Well the food news is that it started working last , I didn't leave enough headspace. I may pick up some nutrients today, I don't have a refractometer or a hydrometer yet. Do I really need it?

Well the food news is that it started working last , I didn't leave enough headspace. I may pick up some nutrients today, I don't have a refractometer or a hydrometer yet. Do I really need it?

Glad its off and running. :)

Honestly of all the equipment you might use to make life easier three things take top priority in my mind. Airlock, Hydrometer and an auto siphon.

I got the auto siphon , and airlocks . The hydrometer is on the way , Winemaker suggested a refractometer too to calculate how much sugar to add . It's cooking great now !

I got the auto siphon , and airlocks . The hydrometer is on the way , Winemaker suggested a refractometer too to calculate how much sugar to add . It's cooking great now !

Really you sjould have one ore theother. Hydrometers are cheaper, but more fragile. Refractometer is more $ , but very sturdy. They do the same job.

I picked up a hydrometer today , my brother was with me and grabbed one that tells the alcohol not the sugar.

I picked up a hydrometer today , my brother was with me and grabbed one that tells the alcohol not the sugar.

Ok. The Proof and Tralles hydrometer can be usefull for the high octane stuff. As this is a public forum, we wont say anything more. :)

Latest posts

Back