Blackberry wine, sulphur smell on day 4. What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLegel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Making this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/blackberry-wine.31294/

I am on day 4 after pitching yeast. Using k1-v1116. It had smelled pleasant until this morning when I picked up a distinct sulphur smell. I have been stirring twice daily, so it started since last night. My first assumption was low nutrient, so I added a half dose of DAP to the must and stirred very well.

Any suggestions?

You can add yeast nutrient, which you have done.

With cider, I typically wait until I get a strong sulfur odor before adding nutrient, and I will typically ad about half of what is typically recommend. Then I wait a day and see if the sulfur is reduced. If not, then a little more nutrient and another day. The sulfur will blow off with continued fermentation.

It is normal when the yeast are stressed, such as in a low nutrient environment like apple or berry juice. In general, a healthy fermentation will not throw a lot of sulfur.

So, adding nutrients is one way to help the yeast out.

@Seamonkey84 Thanks! After I added nutrients, the smell went away, but when I racked to secondary tonight it seems to be creeping back.

If I am past 10% and the smell is still present, will it dissipate with time?

@Seamonkey84 @bucketnative Well, one month in and I just racked and added sulfites. Sulphur smell was STRONG while racking and when cleaning the old carboy out. Hope it fades as you said.... I plan on two more rackings. Anything else I can do to encourage it to dissipate?

You can use a product called Reduless, which contains a copper compound that will remove the sulfur odor. CuSO4 is another treatment option. Or, some people have had good results by degassing using a sanitized copper pipe to stir the wine. I think you see a common thread, here.

Splash racking will risk introducing oxygen, not good once fermentation is complete, unless you want vinegar.

@Seamonkey84 Yeah, I know, but that is what was recommended as the oxygen helps dissipate. Hopefully my sanitation was good. I don't really have a choice. It's really bad and my understanding is the longer it is there the more chance it becomes permanent through other reactions.
I had just sulfited and I checked sulfite levels first and they were well over 50, so should be protected... hopefully...
I will check in a couple days and may also do Reduless.

Having done both the splash rack through copper scrubby (note they are copper coated steel not pure copper) and rack through a funnel filled with 1/2 inch copper fittings as well as stiring with a copper pipe, also 1/2inch. I can say without a doubt the copper pipe and fittings are the better method. Time will also usually take care of the problem if you have enough patience.

Give it time, it will mellow out. Most of the foulness will come out. Yeast fart takes time to dissipate, warmer temps speed it up, but can make “cook” your wine. Otherwise, give it a good mixing with a drill powered wine whip a few times a day, once it’s no longer fizzy at all it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back