Blackberry and/or Raspberry Cider Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
I have a good stock pile of Raspberries and Blackberries in the freezer. I was going to just rack my 6 gallons of cider on top of them to add flavor. But now, I am starting to think about just making a pure Raspberry or pure Blackberry cider.

Any recipes on making one of these from the berries?

Since fruit like this doesn't produce a lot of juice like apples, I'd probably treat it more like a wine. The amount of sugar you add will determine your alcohol content. You'll probably need to sulfite them in a bucket with water prior to pitching your yeast to control any wild yeasts. Give it 24 hours to do it's job then pitch your yeast and "punch" the fruit down for a few days to make sure to extract all of the flavor. Then you can rack off of the fruit into a secondary vessel and let it bulk age.

I have a mulberry-crabapple wine in secondary right now using this sort of method.

Here's a good reference for some recipe ideas.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blackbr2.asp

I'd make a syrup out of the fruit, then add it to a base cider. you'll like the results alot better. If you use the fruit, then your going to have to deal with pieces everywhere and the hairs on the raspberries.

Back