Black Stuff Floating Around Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senfo

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter about 24 hours ago and went to check on it to find black chunks of something floating around in it. I've never noticed this before.

I sanitized all equipment (including the stir bar) prior to use, so I don't know how I could have gotten an infection, but I'm probably going to throw this out unless anybody sees any reason not to.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having the same issue. Definitely dried or burned DME from the inner walls of the pot I boiled the starter wort in. Is this going to affect the performance of the yeast and/or the taste of the beer?

You lost a minuscule amount of the fermentable sugars, but not enough to make a difference in cell growth. The starter wort would have to look fairly dark brown, assuming you used light DME, or have a lot black in it to have any effect on the flavors in your beer.

I forgot this, oops.
You do not need to boil the starter wort. Bring your water to a boil, take the kettle off the heat and stir in the DME to completely dissolve it. Water that is at least 160°F will pasteurize the wort in a couple of minutes.

Back