Black Prinz or Carafa for Schwarzbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I need some suggestions on a Schwarzbier I am planning on brewing this weekend.

I've come up with the general recipe, but in doing some reading on Schwarzbiers, a lot of sources recommend using Carafa I/II/III with II being prefered. However, I was thinking of using Black Prinz instead. I haven't personally tried the Carafas, but in my experience with Black Prinz, it really leaves no bittering when used, which to me seems appropriate for the style, but I wanted to ask anyone who has tried either what their thoughts are (as this is my first Schwarz)?

This is the recipe I have 3 Gallon batch
2.75lbs Pilsner
2lbs Dark Munich
.5lb Crystal 60l
3oz Black Prinz
2oz Pale Chocolate
4oz oats (to add a little more body)
Mash at 150F
1.25oz Hallertau 2.7% AA 60 min
.5oz Hallertau 2.7% AA 10min
.25oz Hallertau 2.7% AA at flame out
WLP830 German lager yeast (pitching from slurry from my pilsner I'll be bottling same day)

I get 1.053OG, 1.012FG, 5.3% ABV, 24IBU and 24SRM when I punch that all in to a calc

Thoughts? A little light? Maybe an extra ounce or two of black prinz? Change up the black prinz for Carafa II? Any other suggested tweaks?

Thanks!

The Carafas are all great, but the Black Prinz is something special. The Carafa Special is de-husked, but the Prinz is made from a hulless barley variety, so the grain doesn't have to go through the extra processing. I find to Prinz to be cleaner. Don't get me wrong the Carafa is still great malt, but depending on the amount used there is a difference.

What are you trying to get out of the Black Prinz or Carafa? I went with Carafa III (actually, de-bittered black) in my last Schwarzbier, and was very happy with the results. I'd maybe consider cutting back a bit on the C60, and would probalby drop the oats.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

The last attempt at my schwarzbock, I used 4oz Carafa II, 3oz of Carafa III, and 2oz of chocolate malt.

It was just a touch roasty. Next time I'll knock the Carafa III down to 1oz and adjust the Carafa II up to get my desired SRM.

Okay, I am going to shoot for 4oz carafa II, 3oz pale chocolate, a quarter pound of 60L, drop the oats and up the Pilsner to 3lb and dark munich to 2.25lbs.

Thanks all. We'll see what results.

Back