Black mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potamus

Reaction score
I just looked into an Ale Pail that's been sitting in the basement for a few weeks and saw some spots of black mold on the bottom. I guess it was still wet when I put it away, and I had it covered. I wiped it out and filled it with sanitizer, but now I'm wondering if using it is just asking for trouble. Thoughts?

Nah, it will be fine. I would recommend cleaning it with either PBW or even just some soap and water and wiping thoroughly with a sponge. After it is properly cleaned you can then sanitize.

I had the same thing happen to me! We normally have a fairly dry climate but it's been very humid this summer. I grabbed my big 8 gallon plastic fermenters to use, and they had icky black mold in them. I bleach bombed them, and then rinsed with hot water until it didn't have any bleach smell to them at all. Then, I still washed and sanitized.

I'm not sure star-san would totally get rid of it, but I'm a paranoid sort.

I think the StarSan should kill any of the mold it comes in contact with. The key is it has to come in contact with it, meaning if there was some film or debris left on the surface, the StarSan may potentially not reach it.

I've had mold in my fermenters too when brew day comes. I oxi everything vigorously morning of and then sanitize and that completely gets rid of the mold. I too am paranoid about sanitizing however.

I've let star San soak in the moldy bucket for a couple weeks and then rinsed with hot water several times after a mold problem. It's normal brew day sanitation after that, and have had no issues. I leave my equipment in our three seasons room to dry now before storing in the basement. Kyle

Chlorine definitely kills mold and its spores, not sure about Starsan.

Note:
I've found it harder to obtain real chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) anymore. The jugs of Clorox are definitely not just chlorine, at least they don't smell like chlorine as they used to. Advances in technology ... <sigh>.

Plastic is a non porous material. Scrub scrub scrub, disinfect and sanitize and you should be just fine. I mitigate mold for a living. :)

Honestly, what's more concerning is the fact that you got mold on a plastic surface to begin with. I would clean and sanitize any brewing equipment before storage to clean out any food sources for mold.

Back