Black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So I want to make a black ipa and use citra hops they are my favorite I also have some magnum hops any suggestions on a third style? Or should I alternate magnum and citra for all 60 min every 15 min.

Magnum is really just a bittering hop. It's aroma and flavor is a faint German noble quality. For later hop additions in a Black IPA look into using other "C" hops.

I'll echo using Magnum for only bittering additons. They're scarce at the moment, but a combination of Simcoe/Amarillo work well in a BIPA. If you're unable to find S/A, any of the C hops would work well.

Oh ok co thanks for the input my total recipe is
1/2# catapult for body
1/2# wheat to give it a stout looking head
1/4pm denigrated black malt
And then my hops were going to be magnum and citra on a 15 min rotating schedule for an hour

Oh ok co thanks for the input my total recipe is
1/2# catapult for body
1/2# wheat to give it a stout looking head
1/4pm denigrated black malt
And then my hops were going to be magnum and citra on a 15 min rotating schedule for an hour

You mean carapils?

Personally, I don't care for IPA like beers to have a lot of body. I prefer them on the thinner side. That's just my palette, YMMV

What is the total volume. Are you doing a 5 gallon batch?

If so, then you could eliminate the carapils entirely, add no more than .5# of wheat, .75# Debittered black malt, and enough 2-row or malt extract to get you to your desired OG.

Use only Magnum for your 60 min addition to achieve the right bitterness for your gravity. Use Citra for all of the late additions if that's the only flavor/aroma hop you intend to use.

Good luck

I have a batch of black ipa cold crashing right now. I used nugget for bittering, cascade for late additions, and a centenniel/cascade dry hop.

Well I bottled tonight and it taste good came out very brown though not black my final gravity was 1.001. But I can't wait to be able to crack one open.

image-1702592441.jpg

Back