Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed this up yesterday. Here's the recipe I used:
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Carafa III Both grains steeped at 155 for 30 minutes
9.9 lbs Light LME (3 cans)
2 oz Chinook @ 60 min
2 oz Amarillo @ 10 min
2 oz Simcoe @ 10 min
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
Wyeast 1056

OG came out to 1.070 (not as high as I wanted, but it's my first brew ever)

Not sure about the color yet, it was great after steeping the grains, nice and black. After adding the extract (2 cans @ 60 min and 1 can @ 10 min), the color seemed to be more brown than black. I hope it will darken once everything settles out of it in the primary, but it'll still be beer, and the wort tasted fantastic!

As per my reply in the stone thread:

"My batch has finished up carbing in the bottle, and oh my is it good. Absolutly bursting with fruity hop bitterness with simco really shining through (used whole leaf simco and pellet amarillo for dry hop, and I definitly notice a much stronger aroma from the cones). It has a bit more roastiness from the carafa than what I remember from stone's, but that may just be because its youth, and I suspect it will mellow with time. Long story short, one of my best beers so far, and one I look forward to toying with!"

As for the brown issue, I had similar concerns as mine was going into the primary, but by the time is was going to bottle it was nice and black. Good luck!

I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I am a big fan of India Brown/Black Ales. My favorite is from Red Rock Brewery in Utah. I took some advice from a home brew store near the brewery and tweak the recipe a bit and this is what I brewed. I really like the beer, although I am going to try lightening it up just a touch for the next batch.

India Brown Ale
14-B American IPA
Author: BillyBeer
Brewed Date: 7/3/09

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 245.11 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 19.35 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.24% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 103.6 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
13 lb American 2-row
8.0 oz Caramel Malt 20L
8.0 oz Brown Malt
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Belgian Aromatic
4 oz Kiln Coffee Malt
8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley
.5 oz Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Summit (17.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
.5 oz Summit (17.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Mash @ 152.0 °F
Batch Sparge - Strike water - 185 °F

Notes
Primary Fermentation 7 days

Secondary Fermentation / dry hop 19 days

Racked mine to secondary yesterday. Color is definitely not black, more of a dark brown/amber. Still wondering what happened. I'm thinking because I added so much LME at the beginning of the boil it caramelized and changed the color somehow. It did taste pretty good though, can't wait to taste the finished product.

I just bottled a ridiculously hoppy ale that was about 25 SRM that I can't figure out how to enter. I'd call it a double india, but "pale" it is not. I don't want to enter it as a category 23, but I'll automatically get points deducted for color if I go 14C.

Guess this one's just for my personal enjoyment.

I just bottled a ridiculously hoppy ale that was about 25 SRM that I can't figure out how to enter. . . I don't want to enter it as a category 23, but I'll automatically get points deducted for color if I go 14C.
I aged one of these Black "IPA" beers with French Oak and may enter it as a Wood Aged Beer in 22C. Curious how the judges will accept it?

I've done a few in oak, and I think they're great. The problem with categories like 22C and 23 is that there are so many entries from every base style that it's incredibly hard to stand out.

I know there is a line that can be crossed in creating too many new categories, but I find the current BJCP guidelines very restrictive. Perhaps I just brew too much outside the box for competition purposes.

Wow this thread gained some attention since i last checked.

I am still planning on making this, just an FYI i just got back on for the first time in like 2 months, PC broke but its all back to normal.

I will be doing this one after my little Winter Ale recipe I thew together!!

I bottled mine last night, color still isn't black, I would say it's somewhere between 20 and 24 SRM, but I'm no expert. The flavor is fantastic though, really tastes more balanced than I expected (probably because I put so much extract in at the beginning of the boil and had a lot caramelize). Can't wait to taste it in a few weeks!

I brewed my black IPA last week and the color so far is black as night. I added carafa III in the last 15 mins of the mash. Will be a week or so before I check the gravity and have a taste tho...

I wasn't able to find any Carafa III Special in my neck of the woods, so I improvised.

I steeped one pound of black patent malt for 10 minutes at 160 degrees. I added this steep wort to my normal IPA recipe.

It came out with a nice black color and tastes like a normal IPA. The roast character is VERY subtle. In fact, after trying Deschutes' Black Hole Sun at their Bend brewpub, I think this beer may taste better with some chocolate or even more black patent steeped for longer.

In short, if all you're looking for is a black IPA with hardly any roast character, you don't have to buy expensive specialty grains or extracts, you can buy cheap black patent malt and do a short steep to achieve the color you're looking for.

Just finished brewing a Cascadian Dark Ale using fresh hops from my backyard. I have no idea what variety they are.

I supplemented the fresh hops with columbus and bravo bittering hops, cascade, amarillo, simcoe, and saaz flavoring hops, and cascade aromatic hops. I added the fresh hops continuously for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Even better, my local microbrewery kindly provided me with a jar of organic yeast from their IPA, it should flocculate nicely and I definitely saved some money by using backyard hops and local brewery yeast.

Since it's a Cascadian Dark Ale (aka Black IPA) and fresh hop ale (aka harvest ale), the only name appropriate for this beer: Dark Harvest.

I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I am a big fan of India Brown/Black Ales. My favorite is from Red Rock Brewery in Utah. I took some advice from a home brew store near the brewery and tweak the recipe a bit and this is what I brewed. I really like the beer, although I am going to try lightening it up just a touch for the next batch.

India Brown Ale
14-B American IPA
Author: BillyBeer
Brewed Date: 7/3/09

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 245.11 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 19.35 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.24% (5.5% - 7.5%)