Black IPA specifics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbossFogg

Reaction score
Here's what I posted to the Heavenly Scourge recipe thread which seems to dead.

I've been looking for a black IPA template and thread and this is the most helpful so far. I've tried to read most of it, but I have couple questions I'd love to get some feedback on.

First it sounds like most are in favor of the late addition roast malts to import color more than roast character, true? And second the big one for me without Carafa on hand are ideas on quantities and proportions of malts I do have around including black patent, special B, and a handful of others.

Definitely not looking to make hoppy stout, just impart color and some roast character to my house IPA.
GREAT THREAD, thanks.

I have made that one and it is one of my favorite black ales. I wouldn't change the recipe. The carafa III makes it what it is. If we are talking about the same recipe. The one where you add the carafa at the last 15 min. Left in the mash? I forgot to add If you use black patent malt instead of the carafaIII at the tail end of your mash. You will end up with a malty brown ale instead of a black ale with those quantities.

+HopSpunge+ said:
I have made that one and it is one of my favorite black ales. I wouldn't change the recipe. The carafa III makes it what it is. If we are talking about the same recipe. The one where you add the carafa at the last 15 min. Left in the mash? I forgot to add If you use black patent malt instead of the carafaIII at the tail end of your mash. You will end up with a malty brown ale instead of a black ale with those quantities.

Yeah, that's the one, but I really only use recipes for templates and ideas. Moreover my LHBS is 2+ hours away in Carson so I gotta work w my stockpiles.

+HopSpunge+ said:

Thanks.

i don't think everyone knows what/where the Heavenly Scourge recipe thread is.
my 2 cents, unless you want a rich raisiny/figgy sweetness steer clear of special b. it is a lovely malt but has no place in a black ipa, in my opinion. if you are going to use black patent i suggest going very easy on it unless you think you can combine the roast coffee flavors with your hops. see how little you can use to get the color you want, and grind it fine. this is my grain bill which i have had great success with, it's probably over-complicated but that's part of the fun of homebrewing
maris otter 77%, munich 12%, crystal 60L 4%, caramunich I 2%, wheat malt 2%, carafa special iii 4% (=101% deal with it!)

dinnerstick said:
i don't think everyone knows what/where the Heavenly Scourge recipe thread is.
my 2 cents, unless you want a rich raisiny/figgy sweetness steer clear of special b. it is a lovely malt but has no place in a black ipa, in my opinion. if you are going to use black patent i suggest going very easy on it unless you think you can combine the roast coffee flavors with your hops. see how little you can use to get the color you want, and grind it fine. this is my grain bill which i have had great success with, it's probably over-complicated but that's part of the fun of homebrewing
maris otter 77%, munich 12%, crystal 60L 4%, caramunich I 2%, wheat malt 2%, carafa special iii 4% (=101% deal with it!)

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and order that Carafa from Williams. Otherwise, the remainder of the malt bill is similar to my IPA. Thanks again.

Back