Black IPA help (All grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally broke down and decided to go big and go all grain. The final piece is arriving vis UPS on Friday and I want to figure out my first all grain brew. I have wanted to make a Black IPA so I was thinking why not. The problem is I have no good recipe for a Black IPA. I have not been able to stumble across any good recipes so if anyone has ever made one and can point me in a good direction I would be very great full.

Thank you. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Check out the recipe forum. I looked just now and saw a couple of Black IPA recipes that seem to be well liked. Good luck!

I've never been able to get a black ipa right. Actually I've not had a commercial black ipa I've liked either! That being said I do have something that might be in between a stout and a black IPA:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/95862/113-heve-s-black-ale

I love this beer, brew it several times a year. It's more a light bodied hopped up American stout. I modeled it on a beer I had in NJ I loved called Diesel, though the recipe has been tweaked so much over the years I resembles that beer not at all.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

I am at work and don't have my recipes right now, but all I did was take my IPA recipe and add some Caraffa III, however I left it out of my mash until the last 5 minutes. The other thing is I modified my hops to not use anything very citrusy and instead go with more Piney and Resiny varieties. It turned out really well, it was dark and had some roasty notes but otherwise a lot like an IPA if you closed your eyes.

Thank you very much for all of the response. Now the fun part of looking at the recipes and trying to I again which will be best :)

I am at work and don't have my recipes right now, but all I did was take my IPA recipe and add some Caraffa III, however I left it out of my mash until the last 5 minutes. The other thing is I modified my hops to not use anything very citrusy and instead go with more Piney and Resiny varieties. It turned out really well, it was dark and had some roasty notes but otherwise a lot like an IPA if you closed your eyes.

This sounds very interesting, I would love the recipe if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed a black ipa some time ago. I choose to cold steep carafa I I I for a few days prior to brewing the main beer. At the end of the boil (last 15 min), I added some of the dark liquid from the steeped grains to the kettle to achieve the color that I wanted. The beer turned out very good as cold steeping didn't extract the acidity normally associated with dark grains.

You could try this clone of Boulevard's Grainstorm rye IPA http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/boulevard-grainstorm-black-rye-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe

Grainstorm is my favorite black IPA I have had, followed by 21st Amendment. The Grainstorm retains much of the classic IPA flavor without getting too roasty to the point where it feels like you're drinking a hoppy porter. According to their website this is accomplished by using roasted wheat which contributes a lot of color but not much roasty flavor.

I have never tried the recipe above but it looks like it would make a pretty good beer!

Take your favorite IPA recipe, add 1lb of chocolate and .25 roasted barley and mash 2f cooler.

the idea is to NOT have much roast. That is why a typical Black IPA uses debittered CarafaIII. No chocolate malt, especially no roasted barley. That makes it a hoppy Porter.

Latest posts

Back