Black IPA added corn sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycro

Reaction score
Just bought the fixings for an all grain black ipa.....I just copied northern brewer's all grain kit recipe as it has rave reviews.....will be my second all grain. Recipe calls for 1 lb of corn sugar at end of boil.....besides upping abv of my beer how else will this addition impact the beer?

What about if I just mash an extra pound of 2 row and leave out the corn sugar....what would I be able to expect at that point?

Please explain this to a rookie.

My first all grain also, I looked for the NB recipe online couldn't find it

jessej122 said:
My first all grain also, I looked for the NB recipe online couldn't find it

Sugar will typically dry out a beer and aid in greater attenuation. Too much sugar can create a cidery off flavor, meaning an unbalanced beer.

I'm brewing one this weekend can you post the recipe please!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-BlackIPA.pdf

Being kind of new to this I wish the instructions gave water amounts, and how much of what degree water to add last ten minutes to hit 170. Besides that Looks good and I did get the corn sugar so I do not deviate from recipe. Am going to pitch 2 safale us-05 american ale yeast due to OG. I am going to mash with 1.25 qts water per pounds of grain. I have to estimate how much I will lose in boil and figure sparge amounts as well as that addition to hit 170. Looking forward to doing this.

.5-1 lb dextrose is pretty common in IPA recipes. I would try the recipe as is, as trying to forgo/add more grain will change the characteristics. The sugar isn't just for FG, but does give a slight dry taste. Looking at the rest of the recipe, I'd say it might be a noticeable difference (the black grains in this aren't adding a dryness).

BTW, there are plenty of calculators for figuring amount of boiling water to add to mash for step infusion. The mashout isn't necessary, but here's one online calculator that's good:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I brewed this for my very first all grain brew. Actually I'm drinking my first glass of it now, considering I am so new to brewing....it's great! I think the sugar helps dry it out, and really it's good. Plus this one finished out pretty low too, finishing off at 1.011. I did double up on the dry hopping, hitting it with 2oz cascade for 5 days.

Really, I have no idea what I am doing, but it's fun and I'm really happy with this one!:drunk:

Back