Black Freezer - Where to Find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these are currently on sale for $299 though tomorrow with free store pickup. Pretty good deal, glad these are back in production

call me cheap, but maybe think about getting a white one for like half the price, and then painting it black?

you could use chalkboard paint so you can have your beers listed/calendar for carbing/etc.

just a thought....

I think these are currently on sale for $299 though tomorrow with free store pickup. Pretty good deal, glad these are back in production

Isn't $299 the regular price?

call me cheap, but maybe think about getting a white one for like half the price, and then painting it black?

you could use chalkboard paint so you can have your beers listed/calendar for carbing/etc.

just a thought....

I would consider painting black if I knew for sure it would turn out very well. Have had some not so great experiences with some things I wish I had finished professionally. My front door, for example.

yeah, now that i think about it, it probly wouldnt be the "look" you're going for if you did the whole thing in chalkboard paint.

and now that im here looking at my own cooler, if you painted it black you'd still have the rubber seals that are white. you cant really paint the seals. would probly look a little goofy if you've got it out for all to see.

then i guess you just have to decide if you're gonna pull the trigger now, or wait and see if there's a "day after xmas" sale coming your way.

decisions, decisions.

Have you checked out the home center stores that carry appliances, like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.? Also look at the appliance close-out stores, like ApplianceSmart. Rent-to-own shops might have some deals on used appliances.

I did paint a traditional top freezer black to excellent effect. Firt coat was rattle can plastic primer in black. Detail work in rattle can chalkboard paint (under handles, edges, intake grill, etc). Body in three coast of roll-on chalkboard paint with a cheap foam roller.

That part of the job looks great! I have oth.er issue all self-inflicted but the paint job is stellar

Have you checked out the home center stores that carry appliances, like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.? Also look at the appliance close-out stores, like ApplianceSmart. Rent-to-own shops might have some deals on used appliances.

not to mention walmart, target, etc. alot of times these guys will have a sale and you can get free shipping or pick up in store. sometimes amazon will have good deals with free shipping, or at least pretty cheap shipping.

You could also check out http://www.ajmadison.com/ Even if you don't buy from them it's a good place to track down model numbers.

P.S. I just ran a quick search and the only two black freezers were thousands of dollars.

Rattle can appliance paint

image.jpg

Rattle can appliance paint

That looks damn nice!

How does it look up close? Just curious how even those cans apply paint.

Does it compare to a factory finish?

Not trying to be s jerk, just trying to make some decisions.

That does look very nice.

That looks damn nice!

How does it look up close? Just curious how even those cans apply paint.

Does it compare to a factory finish?

Not trying to be s jerk, just trying to make some decisions.

That does look very nice.

Thanks, no offense taken.
Compared to factory finish, it looks like it has been painted.
Compared to spray gun and compressor, it looks like rattle can.
Does it still look damn nice? Yup.
Sanded first, tack ragged and painted. I can see a few flaws but overall, I am pretty happy with the results.
Could only find one black freezer in the area and it wasn't cheap or big enough.

Makes good sense to me! Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Black chest freezers are damn near impossible to find around where I live (let alone ones deep or wide enough to put multiple kegs in), so I bought a used white one, sanded the hell out of it with some normal sandpaper and cleaned up with alcohol. Then put down two layers of black metal paint with a normal sponge brush, wet sanded with 1000 grit, painted one more layer and wet sanded again, very lightly. Did the same on the front but used chalkboard paint instead. Looks great aside from the chalkboard paint which dries quickly and ended up not sticking as well to a couple spots (which needed a touch-up but look OK now). Its not as glossy as my factory black fridge, but unless you look close, looks like it was black from the beginning.

Black freezers will most likely be special order most anywhere. Unless there by chance happens to be one that is not usually in stock. I found one at a Sears Outlet a couple years ago. It had the lid totally smashed in. They only reduced the price at most 20%. I bought a brand new white one at HD for less.

Just buy a white one and a couple of aerosol cans black appliance epoxy for $4 each. Looks great. Have done it multiple times

Yes. It's fine. You may have some chipping after a good while but big deal and you can touch up. Don't be a nerd.

Why not just paint them get one in white on sale and paint it instead of waiting to look for a black one that's what I'm doing with my side by side fridge

Back