Black Eyed Pea Ale (black IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha0056

Reaction score
have recently brewed the northern brewer black IPA extract kit, which is currently bottle conditioning (but tasted quite good at the time of bottling). When mentioning this to a friend they thought I said "black eyed pea A."

This has me considering the possible use of black eyed peas in a black IPA recipe. has anyone used / tried anything similar? not sure it would add a whole lot in the flavor department, but would be an interesting conversation point!

appreciate any thoughts

Beans are a traditional part of Baltic Porters. Not sure it is something I would want muddling up a hoppy beer, but you certainly could soak/boil them and toss them into the mash.

thanks. I might give that a try - thinking about maybe soaking / mashing a pound or so of the peas.

would this require some base malt (as I usually do extract and steep specialty grain) for some conversion or addition of enzyme?

would this require some base malt (as I usually do extract and steep specialty grain) for some conversion or addition of enzyme?

Yeah, you should probably grind them and boil them to gelatinize their starches then mash with ~2 lbs of base malt (pil, pale, whatever) for every pound of beans. Hold it around 150 for 60 minutes with ~1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain/bean. Good luck.

thanks. I will post again when I have a final product or with any additional questions

think I will do this as my next brew (in a month or so) - plan to crush 1 lb black eyed peas with 1 pound base malt and will see what happens!

Finally brewed this tonight - used northern brewer black IPA kit with 1 lb black eyed peas added to the mash. OG slightly increased (1.080 vs 1.075). Had a hint of a black eyed pea aroma prior to the boil but not after adding the hops. I expect this to be similar in flavor to the base recipe but fun to try!

very different than my original batch (without black eyed peas). has a smoother mouthfeel, fuller body, and an earthy sweetness (if there is such a thing) with a hint of chocolate. bitterness doesn't hit until the finish. a unique brew!

Latest posts

Back