Black Common Recipe with Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
So, a local community organization of which I'm a member had a service auction event recently, to which I donated 2x Service Items constructed as follows:
-The use of my knowledge and resources in crafting a recipe consistent with/specifically appealing to the winner's beer preferences
-$35 worth of grain, hops, and yeast, consistent with that recipe
-The use of my knowledge, skill, and equipment to transform the grain, hops, and yeast, of which the winner was now the proud new owner, into beer consistent with the recipe we'd worked out, which (the beer) would naturally remain the property of the winner (like its precursors) after fermentation
With timing TBD and the winner responsible for ingredient costs in excess of the $35 worth I agreed to donate.

Of the two winners, the one who's been communicative listed Anchor Steam as her favorite beer, and Guinness (dry Irish stout) and Negro Modelo (McDonald's version of a Vienna Lager) as others she was familiar with. She also specified a disinterest in "weird" ingredients like chocolate, etc., IPA-type beers, or highly bitter beer. What those beers had in common, that I could see, was some general sort of "toasty" grain flavors, a "clean" fermentation, balanced-to-bitter balance, and being fairly dry. Anchor Steam being her favorite, I figured using a California Common style as a basis made the most sense. Using Vienna malt instead of Pale seemed like a nice nod to the Vienna Lager angle. This left Guinness as somewhat of the odd flavor out, and after some thought I reflected on the Schwarzbier style and decided something analogous using a California Common instead of an amber lager as a basis might work nicely.

When we had a chance to sit down and chat a couple weeks ago, I ran this idea past her. I think most of my explanation went over her head (she was at the point where she wasn't 100% sure on the differences among Ales and Lagers, for instance) but she was enthused. I have a tentative recipe worked out, that I wanted to run past the usual cri...err, the board:

Black Common (working title, final name will either be a rose pun in the winner's honor or some reference to coal-fired steam engines)
Mixed-Style Beer ("Schwarz California Common")
OG: 1.054
Est ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 35.7
Color: 33.1 SRM

Grain Bill:
- 9lb Vienna Malt (80%)
-12oz Carafa III (6.7%)
-12oz Victory Malt (6.7%)
- 8oz Crystal 60 (4.4%)
- 4oz Crystal 120 (2.2%)

Tentatively mashing at 150 F with about 1.25 or slightly more qts/lb -- one thing I'm hoping for suggestions on.

My thinking was to emphasize bready, grainy, toasted malty flavors while retaining a dry finish, hence the restrained-for-me use of crystal malts. When I ran this past her, she was enthusiastic about having some caramelly flavors, as well as bready-grainy-toasty flavors, in balance. Thoughts on the grain bill are welcome, however.

Hops:
Northern Brewer, calculations assume 8.5% AA:
-1oz at 45 min (29.3 IBU)
-1oz at 5 min (6.4 IBU)

(This is a bit less hop than I typically see in California common recipes, but I don't want to overbitter or overhop it, and my LHBS sells them in units of 2oz. Should I up it to 3, though, and hang on to the others for something?

Yeast: WLP810 San Francisco Lager or Wyeast equivalent (...IS Wyeast 2112 the same strain? Would one be better than the other here?)

Fermenting somewhere between 60-65 F. Will be bottled rather than kegged. What is this going to require in terms of cold conditioning, etc. to get a clean lager-like California Commonesque profile?

the recipe looks petty good, but I have a couple suggestions.
She mentioned she didn't really like weird flavors like coffee or chocolate, and with about 13% of your grain bill being roasted malts, I have a feeling that's going to taste pretty coffee/roasted, and less grainy than you would like. My suggestion would be to drop the roasted malts down to about 5 or 6% of your grain bill, and then maybe add something like honey malt (2-3%) to add a little sweetness to balance it.

So for "roasted malts," you're including Victory with the Carafa III (I probably should have specified I'm using the dehusked version), correct? I guess it's technically a roasted malt, but it's really light (25 L) and the flavor profile is "lightly roasted to bring out the nutty, toasty, and biscuit flavors and aromas associated with baking bread." 12oz might be a bit much, though. (Much less than 12oz of the Carafa III special won't give me the color I want, according to Beersmith)

I think she was talking about things like "adding chocolate" or "adding coffee," not so much typical dark grain flavors. I'm hesitant about adding more sweetness, since all her examples were pretty dry, given the crystal malt that's already in it. I'll think about about, though. And I appreciate the feedback.

Looks like a great recipe. I may adapt something similar. Mine would need to be 6% ABV and more hops, but I realize that isn't what you want here.

WLP 810 is my favorite yeast. It attenuates well for me, so mash at 150 to 152 F, I'd say. Given the situation, I suppose 2 oz of NB is the right call. You don't want to see bitter beer face. Ferment at 61 F, cold crash, and don't worry about the cold conditioning. WLP 810 drops like a rock and leaves a very clear beer. Sometimes this yeast is slow, so I always give it 3 weeks in the primary.

To the point made by @Rustyhub, why not cut the Carafa III in half, using it for color more than anything else? May not be as good for you or me, but less risky.

Good luck!

To the point made by @Rustyhub, why not cut the Carafa III in half, using it for color more than anything else? May not be as good for you or me, but less risky.

Well, because according to Beersmith that gives me 23.6 SRM instead of 33.1, which is...um...apparently actually in style colorwise for a Schwarzbier (17-30 ....). Might cut back to 8oz, then (26.9). And, yeah, definitely using the debittered/special version o.o

So for "roasted malts," you're including Victory with the Carafa III (I probably should have specified I'm using the dehusked version), correct? I guess it's technically a roasted malt, but it's really light (25 L) and the flavor profile is "lightly roasted to bring out the nutty, toasty, and biscuit flavors and aromas associated with baking bread." 12oz might be a bit much, though. (Much less than 12oz of the Carafa III special won't give me the color I want, according to Beersmith)

I think she was talking about things like "adding chocolate" or "adding coffee," not so much typical dark grain flavors. I'm hesitant about adding more sweetness, since all her examples were pretty dry, given the crystal malt that's already in it. I'll think about about, though. And I appreciate the feedback.

No, I wasn't referring to victory. I was referring to the crystal malts. I guess I should amend my statement before because crystal 60 won't quite be chocolate/coffee, but crystal 120 is definitely pretty roasty. Crystal 60 will give you a fairly strong caramel flavor with maybe a hint of coffee, so I Gould leave that out.

For nutty/grainy, I love to use biscuit or victory. MO is a pretty decent base malt for that grain bill too, to give you a grainy flavor.

Ah. That...hasn't been my experience with the Crystal malts, but I'll take another nibble of the grain/pop one of my remaining test-batch beers.

Recipe development: it appears my LHBS now stocks Northern Brewer in 1 lb increments as well, for about half the price per ounce. Since as I understand it pellet hops are good for months in the fridge, and since that gives me a bit of room to experiment, I'ma go ahead and order a pound. Thinking I might go for .75oz each at 5 min and 0 min, instead of just 1oz at 5min, which puts it more like 34 IBUs. (Need the actual percentage from the hops, I suppose).

The Wyeast Cali Common yeast references "brilliantly clear" beer as well as the flavors, whereas the White Labs one just refers to the typical flavors, so that seems like the better choice. >.>

WLP 810 is my favorite yeast. ...[it] drops like a rock and leaves a very clear beer. Good luck!

The Wyeast Cali Common yeast references "brilliantly clear" beer as well as the flavors, whereas the White Labs one just refers to the typical flavors, so that seems like the better choice. >.>

???

Okay, I get it. You trust the Wyeast packaging more than my anecdotal statement (though mine is unbiased). No offense taken. :)

As it turns out, I was already planning to brew a steam beer over the 4th of July weekend, and my recipe included chocolate malts that were... gone! No problem, I substituted Carafa II. It will turn out a little closer to yours than expected.

Be sure to report your results. I'll try to remember to do the same. I'm pretty sure mine will be fantastic!

Or came back to the thread after nearly two weeks and forgot which one was referenced. >.>

Meh. Half the time the LHBS winds up substituting one for the other anyway (in fact, they called me earlier in the day, though I missed it, which usually means they're wanting to OK a substitution).

So, apparently the NB hops my LHBS has in right now are 9.9% AA. o.o I adjusted the recipe a bit; .75oz each at 45 min and 10 min, and 1oz at 0 min. Also, the guy at the counter swears that 4oz Carafa III is enough to turn anything pitch black, based on his experience with schwarzbiers. I am skeptical, but did leave it dialed back to 8oz.

Looks like I'm brewing tonight.

Brewed it two weeks ago to the calendar day. Transferred to secondary this evening. Tasted a sample; pretty good; Anchor Steamish with a hint of dark grain flavor and slightly more interesting maltiness, but the NB needs to mellow a little I think. Seems quite clear, and a nice dark brown.

I wound up having to add a gallon of previously boiled water, after chilling, to get it down to the recipe expected OG (1.053). Partly because I undersparged, this time, and wound up with 4.88gal after chilling. It then fermented down to 1.012 instead of the predicted 1.014, with a predicted ABV of 5.4%. Still within style, but come on... >.>

I guess "process too efficient" isn't the worst problem to have. >.>

As a nice bonus, I'll still have a few bottles to enjoy after delivering the promised 5 gallons.

Mmm. So...

Pours opaque "black coffee" brown with dense, off-white to tan head that slowly dissipates. Mild woodsy aroma with hints of mintiness of Northern brewer hops, toasty grainy flavors, and a faint hint of the mixed coffee-chocolate smell of a mocha - likely a synergistic effect between the toasty/malty grains and the carafa. Fairly heavy carbonation. Flavor begins with slight yeast fruitiness and an herbal hoppy note, backed by mainly toasted grains, and a bit of dark caramel; lighter caramels not distinct. Smooth, subtle roasted flavor, more restrained than in aroma. Medium bodied, lightened by the higher carbonation. Moderately dry finish.

Flavor's pretty good; might consider trading caramunich for C60 and replacing the Vienna with pale and a pound of munich for economy's sake. And trying out 3oz of hops, shifting at least one from flameout to steep additions. Otherwise I think this one's a winner.

I had the same sort of idea; this is my take on it :

Cali Schwarzbier

Grain bill is :
3.25 lbs Pilsner malt
2 lbs Munich malt
5.6 oz Carafa III
5.6 oz Caramunich
4 oz Chocolate

Hop schedule is :
.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 30 min
.75 tsp rehydrated Irish moss @ 15 min

Mangrove Jack M-54 yeast.

I'm hoping that it works well; fermenting in my shed as I type. Two weeks to go before bottling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back