Black Butte XXIII

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
I'm so shocked that my local liquor store had Black Butte 23rd anniversary that I had to post about it. At $13 a bomber it wasn't cheap but now I'm thinking about going back for a couple more bottles to cellar over the next couple years. The guy that sold it to me said they only got in 2 cases.

I tried this a few weeks ago - I thought it tasted like ass. No - I am not a light lager guy neither. I let my boys try it as they were over and everyone did not like it. I love their Black Butte Porter, but this brew seems like it needs a year or so to smooth out. I actually wrote the Brewery to give them my feedback. Very nice folks, sent me several home made pics of the guys cutting the thousands of oranges, dipping the bottles in wax, ect that went into this batch. Ended up sending me a shirt for my feedback.

In short - if you buy one let it age a bit, but as for me I will just move on. I like most of their other brews and like their brewing personality.

While I liked the XXIII, it was my least favorite of the batches. I think they overdid the orange. Loved the XX and XXI.

Had this on tap a few months ago. The bar I was at poured them in 10 oz glasses. I thought it was quite good, and it really packed a punch.

Gave a bottle to my dad when I saw it since Black Butte Porter is one of his favorite beers. He put it in his wine cellar, dont plan on drinking it until its at least a year old.

I think I'll probably crack open this bottle since I'm getting mixed reviews and if I think it's cellar worthy, I'll go pick up a couple more to save.

Bought two bottles, gave one to someone for their birthday.

I am 23, and this is the 23rd anniversary. I imagine I am going to hang on to it until next year's birthday, drink it, and then find a 24th to sit on until the next year.

Says it's best after june 2012 anyway.

Back