BJCP Contest Shipping Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schreiner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been shipping entries to contests for a long time without issue, but apparently my club got busted this time around?

We ended up shipping our entries to the Hoppy Halloween Challenge via FedEx. I've always operated under policy of just plain not telling the shipper what is in the package.

The box made it all the way from central Wisconsin to Fargo, and apparently the person accepting the delivery at the drop off site said something along the lines of, "Oh! Must be homebrew deliveries", and the driver said they weren't allowed to delver it, and denied delivery. The package was apparently destroyed.

Supposedly you CAN declare that you are shipping alcohol though FedEx????
https://www.fedex.com/us/developer/...WebServicesHelp/WSDVG/23_Alcohol_Shipping.htm

Do you fine folks use this "signature option", or do you just ship things unmarked?

I have always shipped them unmarked. One store asked if my shipment contained alcohol I just told them it was barley and hops. Since then I switched to another store that asks less questions. If part of the address has homebrew or beer I will abbreviate or leave it out.

It seems to vary a lot in different regions. My local FedEx has been a pain, but never had an issue with UPS until I shipped to Oregon once and it got flagged and destroyed, and no idea why. Random inspection probably.

I'm pretty sure refusing alcohol apart from licensed retailers/distributors saves these companies on insurance. Very rarely do they seem to enforce it, until they do.

+1 on pre-printing and handing over.

I'm all about pre-printing and handing it over (the don't ask, don't tell protocol), but it's a big waste of time and money bottling/ packaging/ shipping to get busted in transit or during delivery.

At one point not too long ago I thought there was talk in congress about legalizing shipping alcohol via USPS. I guess that fizzled out.

Maybe the AHA can do something for us more rural home brewers for a change, and help revise the laws to make it easier to ship to competitions.

I'm all about pre-printing and handing it over (the don't ask, don't tell protocol), but it's a big waste of time and money bottling/ packaging/ shipping to get busted in transit or during delivery.

At one point not too long ago I thought there was talk in congress about legalizing shipping alcohol via USPS. I guess that fizzled out.

Maybe the AHA can do something for us more rural home brewers for a change, and help revise the laws to make it easier to ship to competitions.

If it were to happen via USPS I imagine it'd be like FedEx/UPS- licensed retailers/distributors only.

I agree it'd be nice to be able to ship on the up and up, either for beer trades or homebrew comps. But unless you want to pay a private courier, no current way I'm aware of and I don't see it changing. Just don't ask don't tell, gamble, and occasionally get something rejected (and if you're lucky, returned).

Wow, how disappointing. I've been thinking as long as I get the package into the FedEx system and have no leaks I'd be good to go. The clerks at the store I use doesn't ask what's in the package.

Just label the box “Fragile! Viable Yeast Cultures”

this won't help if a Papa Murphy's employee (assuming they used the same shipping location as previous years) says something about alcohol to a FedEx driver as would appear to be the case here.

It seems to vary a lot in different regions. My local FedEx has been a pain, but never had an issue with UPS until I shipped to Oregon once and it got flagged and destroyed, and no idea why. Random inspection probably.

Also possible that it had a leak, broken bottle, or something like that that got it noticed.

Also possible that it had a leak, broken bottle, or something like that that got it noticed.

Been a few instances with UPS where a bottle has broken (whether sending or receiving), and I've gotten an alert that there was damage and stuff was repacked and sent along. UPS even notified me what bottle was damaged.

This instance there was no notification. Doesn't mean that's not a possibility though.

Point being, selective enforcement.

Been a few instances with UPS where a bottle has broken (whether sending or receiving), and I've gotten an alert that there was damage and stuff was repacked and sent along. UPS even notified me what bottle was damaged.

This instance there was no notification. Doesn't mean that's not a possibility though.

Point being, selective enforcement.

When the individual that actually sent the shipment out found the shipment status was"rejected" he contacted FedEx, and got the explanation I put in the original post. Why there has to be more to the story, I'm not sure.

The funny thing is, we did ship two boxes to the comp. The second box DID have broken bottles. FedEx shipped it back to us, and ended up dropping it off to one of the random members that had and entry in the box (apparently they found his receipt of payment in the box.) The box was repackaged and resent, received, and ready to be judged this week. It's really is a fun scenario!

I have been involved with packaging the majority of club entries in the past couple of years. This time I didn't show up for the packing party. The moral of that story, is that it looks like I will have to do a beer packing training at a club meeting soon!

At one point not too long ago I thought there was talk in congress about legalizing shipping alcohol via USPS. I guess that fizzled out.....

ins.

Sadly the opposite has just happened with shipping laws at least with wines. This was done by wine distributors to limit the mail order online sites. The change mostly focused on wines but with new focus on the rules beer will get caught up as well.This does not bode well for competitions now that there are efforts to crack down. While you could always sneak stuff through, there is no guarantee it will be delivered and it will be destroyed. Just keeps getting better.

Back