Bitterness Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msh227

Reaction score
The beers I like tend to be more malty than hoppy. That being said I am def growing a stronger taste for hoppier beers. Lately I have heard some talk about IPA's that are well "balanced" where they have good hop flavor and are not overly bitter. Instead of balanced in terms of malt to hops ratio.

I guess I'm just a little confused as to what is the difference. I understand if you boil hops at 60 min you will get the bitterness compared to later in the boil where you will get less bitter and more flavor.

Is that all there is to it? Guys will make an IPA and load up on hops later in the boil to gain lots of flavor and aroma but not as much bitterness? If you add a lot of hops lets say at 15 min left in the boil aren't you still going to have a bitter beer??

Does this make any sense or am I off my rocker?

Reason I'm asking is I drank a Flying Fish Extra Pale Ale and really enjoyed it. Had the right amount of hops for my taste. I have also drank a Flying Fish IPA and just was too hoppy for my liking.

I'd like to brew an Extra Pale Ale similar to the Flying Fish brew but just want to be able to get my head around this hop balance issue....

Yeah, that's one way to do it. Hop bursting is what it's called. A lot of people do a small bitterness addition at 60 and then save the rest for 5 or flameout. The late addition's alpha acids don't isomerize as much into the bitter compounds and you just get more aroma/taste. You still get bitterness from them, but it's more of a smooth hoppy bitterness and not your big throat-rape.

#psuedoscience

Back