Bittering hops- does only AA matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoberLikeAFox

Reaction score
Hey, for a bittering hop that'll boil for 60 minutes, do you get anything in the way of flavor, or is it just the AA's that matter? I mean, does it matter which hop you use as long as the IBU's line up right? Some hops have 'floral notes' and some have 'herbal notes' and I'm wondering if it matters if I'm just using it to bitter the beer.

It does matter, IMO, although you will hear it the other way. While the CW says that bittering additions do not add any flavor that is the short answer. The long answer is at least for my taste subtle flavors can certainly be added by bittering hops and if not flavors directly there are definite influences on the overall flavor profile of the beer. The more subtle or less hoppy the beer style the more pronounced that influence can be. This is especially true with an aggressive hop variety. When choosing a bittering hop I think it's never a bad idea to choose one that is in the same general family as the other hops in the beer unless you are shooting for some particular blend of flavors. If you divide the hop world into three broad categories of British, American and German-Continental there are higher alpha bittering varieties within each family that will always work well in those styles and won't clash or influence the more delicate late hops.

A hop with a higher cohumulone level can come across as having a "harsh" bitterness relative to the same IBU level from a lower cohumulone hop. Exactly how noticeable that might be is debatable. I have made Czech Pilsners and several other styles of lagers or mildly flavored ales in a commercial setting where Tomahawk was my exclusive bittering hop. The beers were very well received by my colleagues and the local homebrewing community. That being said, when brewing at home I pretty much try to, as BigEd suggests, stick to a hop that is traditional for the style; Tett or Spalt in my German lagers, EKG or Challenger for my English ales, etc... that does help if I have a wild hair at the last minute and want to deviate from my intended hop schedule. :D Sorry to ramble, kind of stream of thought ADD thing, I somet... look, a bird...

I agree with BigEd that the variety hops used for bittering does matter when it comes to flavor. There are some varieties of hops that contribute more to the taste of beers than others. I've brewed the same IPA using cascade as the bittering hops and then galena, Teverything else was ths same. Both had cascade as the aroma hops added at the same time during the boil and the ibus were very similar. The one with cascade had a more pronounced grapefruit taste while the one with galena had a combination herbal and lesser grapefruit taste.

I have also conducted the same experiment using target and then kent goldings for my English ipa with similar results. There was a difference between the two bittering hops

Certain hops you can substitute with each others without noticing a difference while others there is a noticible difference.

I'm certainly not going to make the case that there is no taste in the 60 min addition, but it is not that big of a deal to me. I started using only "in style" hops, but had to sub some Columbus for EKG in a Scottish (I did this because I had to, but in researching found that three floyds uses centennial in Robert the Bruce)and it tasted no different to me. Since, I've been using non traditional hops with no drawbacks that I can tell. I just read that Chimay has used American hops for bittering, so the big boys do it too. A lot just depends on what you plan to use and brew though! A edgy hop in a subtle style probably won't be so good.

thanks for the info! I brew mostly high o.g. stouts so no light beers there. I've used a number of different hops in stouts, and just came into a bunch of northern brewer hops and was wondering what that would do to my flavot profile.

I'd do it without hesitation. I haven't used NB yet, but a high og stout is probably one of the most forgiving styles in terms of hop subs. That is what my (limited) experience has been. Supposedly, NB is a little minty, so it might even turn out better if you like that. But then, I'm an experimenter anyway. One of the best things about brewing IMO.

I'd do it without hesitation. I haven't used NB yet, but a high og stout is probably one of the most forgiving styles in terms of hop subs. That is what my (limited) experience has been. Supposedly, NB is a little minty, so it might even turn out better if you like that. But then, I'm an experimenter anyway. One of the best things about brewing IMO.

Agreed. Sub away on the high OG stout. I have played a little with NB in single hopped steam beers (go ahead Anchor... Sue me for using "steam") and have found that NB generates a herbally, almost woody taste to the beer that compliments the fruity tastes of the yeast. If there is a minty taste its pretty subtle. I ended up dry hopping with cascade as an experiment on half of it and the cascade works really well to play the citrus off the fruity tastes.

hope this helps. just my 2c.

Latest posts

Back