Bittering hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdrew2

Reaction score
I just got a recipe kit in from Midwest for a red ryepa and had a question about the hop bill. It calls for the following additions:
.5 oz Columbus (60 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus/ .5 oz centennial (20 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus / .5 oz centennial (10 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus / . 5 oz centennial (5 minutes)

My question is, does this seem a little light on the bittering hops? This is only my fourth brew but most others seem to use at least 1 oz early in the boil.

brewdrew2 said:
I just got a recipe kit in from Midwest for a red ryepa and had a question about the hop bill. It calls for the following additions:
.5 oz Columbus (60 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus/ .5 oz centennial (20 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus / .5 oz centennial (10 minutes)
.5 oz Columbus / . 5 oz centennial (5 minutes)

My question is, does this seem a little light on the bittering hops? This is only my fourth brew but most others seem to use at least 1 oz early in the boil.

Every recipe I different. Do what it says. Eventually you won't count ounces you'll count IBUs to calculate hops. Judging from the hops it's going to have plenty of bitterness anyway.

Check Midwest Supplies' website. You want 60, 20, 10, and 5 for additions, and IBU's should be good as Centennials are a high alpha acid % hop:
1/2 oz Centennial at 60
1/2 oz Centennial and 1/2 Columbus at each of 20, 10, and 5 mins remaining.

Back