Bitter tastes tart or cidery and very bubbly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyx

Reaction score
So we brewed up the Pub Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/pub-ale-21226/) and it's been in the primary for about 2 weeks. Just took a sample and tasted:

- Taste tart or cidery like. Reminds me of the Harpoon Raspberry UFO
- Had a lot of little bubbles like it's carbonated

Here is what we did:

- Mashed and got some channeling, so we adjusted and recirculated some of the sweet running's. The sparge water was too hot at some point too, (175 F)
- Did not have time to do the boil, so we covered the brew kettle with foil, put the lid on and stored in the basement which is about 55 F

This recipe had some brown sugar in it.

The FG should be 1015 but it's at 1020 right now.

It fermented at 64F for 3 days or so and since then it's been between 52 - 55 F

Did I get a sour mash? It's not bubbly now, but was when I first racked off a sample it was; like champagne. Why so bubbly? The brown sugar?

The funny thing is that it tastes nothing like a bitter, but I actually like the taste :)

Thanks!

(Needless to say, I won't be storing overnight before the boil again -- at least not in a non-airtight container)

I will do that.

I also realized that we got some new dish soap recently that is "all natural" and has grapefruit oil in it -- we washed out the carboy with some soap and then sterilized w/ bleach and water. I think this may be a case of the oils infusing in the beer! Doh.

What do you folks use to wash carboys? Just hot water? Some sort of homebrew wash or pure soap?

Latest posts

Back