Bitter taste after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
I brewed Norther Brewer's Dry Dock Apricot Ale two weeks ago. Today when I went to switch it to the secondary, I took a gravity reading and tasted it. It had a really strong bitter taste and strong smell. I am trying to find out if this is normal or if I should leave it in the primary longer. Followed the instructions during the brew and added the included apricot puree on day three as directed. Thanks for any info.

you might be tasting some krausen or suspended yeast (super bitter). Or bittering hops that can seem more pronounced early on.

Regardless don't worry. Your beer still has a quite a ways to go before its ripe and ready.

Some of my finest brews had an imbalance after initial fermentation, but balanced out perfectly when fully carbed up.

you might be tasting some krausen or suspended yeast (super bitter). Or bittering hops that can seem more pronounced early on.

Regardless don't worry. Your beer still has a quite a ways to go before its ripe and ready.

Some of my finest brews had an imbalance after initial fermentation, but balanced out perfectly when fully carbed up.

Thanks for the advice. The more I think about the taste its has the same flavor as if you had orange juice too long.

If its possibly suspended yeast, should I leave it longer in the primary or go ahead and switch to the secondary?

I guess I can take this as a good sign that people are not responding with the same issue and that this is part of the process and things will turn out okay.

Back