Biscuity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biscuithead

Reaction score
Hey all
I have a question. My fav beer is Fat Tire precisely because of its biscuity flavor. Question is: are there any beers that have an even stronger biscuity type taste? I love that biscuity flavor! Thnx for any suggestions.

Maris Otter malt tends to give biscuity flavors so I would start with a recipe that uses that as the base malt instead of regular 2 row.

The real answer is a big NO. There aren't other beers with a stronger biscuit flavor.

That is as concentrated a biscuity flavor as you'll find. Any other beers with heavy biscuit flavors generally also have other flavors that may be delicious, but distract a bit from the biscuit goodness.

At least, that has been my experience. It is just too easy to add other malts or hops that take away from the biscuit essence of a Fat Tire.

A bready flavor is characteristic of Munich Dunkel, from the high percentage of Munich malt in the recipe. Try Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, if you can find it.

I like the biscuity qualities of marris otter. But German malts, I think, add to that their " toasted artisan bread" sort of malt flavor qualities. A beer that combines those would be great!

Well, to my taste buds, " biscuity" tastes like biscotti with a touch of caramel. " Bready" is like bread that's been toasted to whatever degree the malt is dried/roasted to in regard to Lovibond rating.

To me biscuity refers to the flour and salt tones. I wish their was a beer called liquid biscuits from down home. I would drink it. I guess if nothing is stronger than the biscuity taste in fat tire, I'll just have to keep drinking it. Although biscuity with a nutty flavor would be awesome as well.

Its a fine line between biscuit, bread, toasty, nutty. Experiment with MO and your biscuit, vienna, etc malts and see what you like the best. Love Dark English Milds and the depth of biscuit, toast and roast it boasts.

To me biscuity tastes like a glass of milk you filled with pennies.

Fat tire is my way of buying bottles for my brewing needs.. I do like it quite a bit.... BUT "Biscuit" is not even close to the taste I get from that beer. We all perceive things differently though.

What I'm drinking right now is way more biscuit'ie to me IMO then Fat tire.

8 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 76.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.8 %
1.00 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 44.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 1.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Give it a try... its got the fat tire bite but better malt Biscuit flavor IMO

It is amazing the differences in peoples tastes. I grew up on homemade, biscuits cooked in my Grandmas old wood fired range. Having said that, I've never really gotten a real biscuity flavor from any beer, including Fat Tire (which I like), though some have come close. Several years ago, I spent a summer in England. While there, I did taste a mild that had a nice, sort of toasted bread flavor. I've never used Victory malt, but do like the toasted cracker flavor of Biscuit malt, and the bready flavors of MO, Crisp pale ale malt, and Munich malt.

Fat tire is my way of buying bottles for my brewing needs..

I hope you are not using the Bomber bottles. They are the worst bottles I have come across. I have tossed many of them for cracks.

I probably have about 50 of them, and am tossing a bottle just about every brew. Fortunately not disasters yet - I am inspecting them before every use.

Its a fine line between biscuit, bread, toasty, nutty. Experiment with MO and your biscuit, vienna, etc malts and see what you like the best. Love Dark English Milds and the depth of biscuit, toast and roast it boasts.

Really floats your boat?

Well a quick update. I recently tried some vanilla Porter made by Lieninkugel. it's very malti and tastes a lot like fat tire. I'd say it's as good if not better. Just thought I'd share.

Well a quick update. I recently tried some vanilla Porter made by Lieninkugel. it's very malti and tastes a lot like fat tire. I'd say it's as good if not better. Just thought I'd share.

I like their vanilla porter (except some weird aftertaste I get from a lot of their beers...including their Octoberfest) but I find little to no similarity with Fat Tire. So without being insulting, is possible you do not have much experience with malt-forward beers? If most of your experience is with BMC and IPA's then I think all of us can recommend beers with a much more pronounced malt flavor for you to experiment with.

I will start:

Goose Island Honkers Ale...not biscuity but smooth malt flavor with just enough hops for balance
Almost all your Scottish Ales...Robert the Bruce by Three Floyd's in my area.
Bell's Best Brown Ale when it is available in fall
Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewing

Each of those is focused more on malt character (Honkers Ale the least so) and each is quite different. Most are available throughout the northern Midwest and possibly further.

Moose Drool in particular has an excellent clone, Caribou Slobber, on Northern Brewery in 1 or 5 gallon extract and 5 gallon all-grain. If you find and like the commercial version it is an excellent way to dip your toe in the homebrew river doing the 1-gallon. The equipment required is minimal if you have pot capable of boiling pasta.

Wait, Wait, Wait! So what did everyone decide was a "biscuit" flavor?

Southern biscuit like one of these?
https://foodimentaryguy.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/buttermilk-biscuits.jpg
If you mean something like a southern biscuit then it'll be more salty and doughy tasting with a higher flavor of yeast in there

or an english biscuit like one of these (basically a cookie...those commies!)?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/13/article-0-0066FC5300000258-332_468x308.jpg
if you mean something like an english biscuit/cookie then it'll be sweater but more flat in flavor profile (meaning there aren't many flavors in there)

I for one, love me some America, but would love to try some beer that has more of an undertone of english biscuit cookie flavor. Any suggestions on a beer like that?

Maris otter & some other English malts " biscuity" flavor seem like caramel buiscotti to me. Whereas German malts taste more like a fine toasted bread.

You'll probably have a hard time finding it, but you'd probably dig 10w30 by Neustadt Springs Brewery here in Ontario. Love that beer; almost tastes like banana bread to me.

What is BMC and IPA? And yes my experience is limited. I live in Texas so that's what um dealing with as far as where I can find beer. Also, and this is way off, but do any of u drink beer and take Zoloft? Is it an issue?

What is BMC and IPA? And yes my experience is limited. I live in Texas so that's what um dealing with as far as where I can find beer.

BMC=Bud, Miller, Coors...in your case we can add Lone Star
IPA=the most popular style of craft beer around, India Pale Ale. Very hoppy with lots of hop aroma...West Coast styles have about zero malt presence...it is all about the hops

So the average HEB will have Shiner Bock. Though it is a shadow of its former glory, it is a more malty beer.

Saint Arnold Amber Ale is probably available about everywhere in TX

Texas has some great beer, you have to have a HEB near you right? I can easily spend $100 in Texas bombers at any HEB store; that is why I am no longer allowed to get milk on my own.
Every month are so a new brewery is opening up here in the Houston area; we are steadily catching up with Austin and the Metroplex.

Many browns and ambers will get you that biscuit taste. Just finished a growler of Bayou City Brown the other day from a local brewery (Texas Beer Refinery) that had the English Ale biscuit taste that you are hunting.
Buffalo Bayou Brewery also has a good one (1836).

Where are you from exactly?
There is 75 stores within 100 miles from my house and commercials on the TV every 15 minutes.

Yeah, I getting sent of troll in this...

He drinks beer but never heard of IPA
He lives in Texas but never heard of HEB
And he wonders if mixing Zoloft and beer is a good idea

Near texarkana. Looks like closest to me is Carthage. 100 miles away
_

Ok, you are in beer hell over there.
Sorry.

Is it still a dry county?
Dallas has a nice selection of beer but you may be too far out to enjoy any of it. I don't know about Shreveport.

Good luck, you may have to hit up liquor stores and ask them to carry some good Texas beer.

Back