Biscuity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take ziloft but I want to be able to drink beer and I do but usually just 1 a day. and yes the selection around here is very poor. is it possible to order beer?

Yeah, I getting scent of troll in this...

He drinks beer but never heard of IPA
He lives in Texas but never heard of HEB
And he wonders if mixing Zoloft and beer is a good idea

I am starting to think the same thing...

:(

I will start:

Goose Island Honkers Ale...not biscuity but smooth malt flavor with just enough hops for balance
Almost all your Scottish Ales...Robert the Bruce by Three Floyd's in my area.
Bell's Best Brown Ale when it is available in fall
Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewing

Each of those is focused more on malt character (Honkers Ale the least so) and each is quite different. .

I was going to mention Goose Island Honkers as a decent commercial beer known to be "biscuitty".

I was going to mention Goose Island Honkers as a decent commercial beer known to be "biscuitty".

Love me some Honkers...er...wait...wrong thread.

Honestly, thought it is lower in alcohol, I use Honers Ale as the control for my ordinary bitter. Mine has a more silky/oily mouthfeel but is dead to nuts otherwise and only 3.3% ABV.

I take ziloft but I want to be able to drink beer and I do but usually just 1 a day. and yes the selection around here is very poor. is it possible to order beer?

It is possible but not very economical:
http://craftshack.com/
http://www.craftbeerkings.com/

Best way may be to make friends with a local liquor store and have them order from their distributor to eliminate the shipping cost. You will be limited to their distributors availability so you won't get many of the top 10 west coast brews like Pliny but still should have a decent selection of local brews.

Also, a quick search on beer advocate shows one local brewpub in your area (Pecan Point Brewing Company). I would see what they have to offer, Pecan Point Ale is an American brown that you should probably try and write us a review. You also have a place called Party Factory nearby that looks to have a good selection.

Yes. I checked with party factory. they carry a scottish ale called belhaven. Anyone ever heard of that?

So the belhaven was wonderful. I'm drinking some of the honkers ale now and am very disappointed. Tastes like...well only a bitter pale taste. I don't like at all. I wish I would have bought another six of belhaven :)

So the belhaven was wonderful. I'm drinking some of the honkers ale now and am very disappointed. Tastes like...well only a bitter pale taste. I don't like at all. I wish I would have bought another six of belhaven :)

It was a good learning experience...

You like very malty beers with little to no hop flavor. Scottish Ales and Northern Brown Ales are good places to start in addition to the Fat Tire. there are a few other Belgians that are likely to your liking.

Scottish Ales are pretty good starter homebrews...

Yea. I'm trying to get my local store to order some browns best ale. Hopefully it'll be good.

I hope you are not using the Bomber bottles. They are the worst bottles I have come across. I have tossed many of them for cracks.

I probably have about 50 of them, and am tossing a bottle just about every brew. Fortunately not disasters yet - I am inspecting them before every use.

Nope just the 12 oz'ers...Thanks for the warning though.

Id like to add something since my last post on the taste quality's of Fat Tire. The wife and I bought a 6er to take along to a diner invite. I opened one and took a swig..It was Soooo biscuit'ie ( is that a word) I could not drink it.. My wife opened one and could not drink it either. We poured them down the sink and left 4 bottles in our hosts fridge. That was a first for me.
I have been drinking that beer since 2007 or 8 and have never had it taste like that.. If that's the overwhelming biscuit flavor some of you are experiencing you can have it.... But I don't think so its the only time Iv'e experienced it.....:confused:

Wow. Lucky you. I wish I could have it. Everything that's not really malty to me tastes like spicy water.

OH Dude...believe me I'm a malty beer guy...This was wrong...just over the top goofy. Something must have happened to that batch.

Chiming in to say I love your username... "biscuithead"... girlfriend and I were in Virginia recently and saw so many "Biscuit worlds"? haha. got a good laugh at it even though we didn't eat there..

I grew up in Virginia. I ate a lot of what they call cat head biscuit. Very very good southern biscuits.

by the way I'm keeping the bottles of the different beers and I'm trying to use once I start my own brews. How do you clamp the tops on to the bottles once you fill it up with Brew? will any of these bottles work to store my own brew? Like the Belhaven bottles or the honkers ale bottles.

most any bottle that came capped can be reaped with a cheap wing caper...there are a few that require a bench type caper due to the neck on the bottle being to big.

also what's the name of a good starter kit that I can buy to get started in this fascinating world?

also what's the name of a good starter kit that I can buy to get started in this fascinating world?

How much are you looking to brew? Brooklyn Brew Shop has a nice selection of 1 gallon beer kits if you're interested in that, but if you want to do 5+ gallons I would recommend the Brewers Best starter kit. I started with it a few years ago and still use most of the stuff today.

Latest posts

Back