Birthday Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin2010

Reaction score
My birthday is coming up and instead of doing a traditional style party I convinced my fiance and my mother to let me do a brew day. Basically we invited all my friends and family that normally mooch my beer to show up and see how I make beer. Not so much a class but kind of like a come and go brew day where people can stop in and see what we are up to at various stages of the process. Surprisingly more people were interested than I thought so it should be a fun day.

The problem is I cant decide what to make. My first thought was to make something that would age a while so that it might be ready at Christmas or even next year on my birthday. Then I was thinking that maybe I should do a good summer beer. I am conflicted so I decided to post up here and see what others thought. I am pretty open to suggestions as I like all different beers.

Happy Birthday!

I would say do something that the people that come by and watch and\or participate can enjoy in a short amount of time. This way they will remember what was done and get to enjoy something they participated in.

I like the idea of a summer beer. If people are coming over to help or see the process you need to show them results a little quicker. When the beer is ready it would be great to have a cookout and tasting of the beer.

By than you will know who are really interesting in brewing and you can have those people over to brew a Barley Wine/Tripel/Dubbel etc. that will be great to enjoy this fall and winter. May even convince them to buy the ingredients!

Cool idea, as long as you don't mind the potential distractions of all the people coming and going.

I'm turning 30 this July, so I brewed a Belgian quad to commemorate. I started it in January so it could have a solid 6 months to brew and condition, then I'll have all my friends over to celebrate with it. If I had been thinking ahead, I would've started it a full year out, but I think it will turn out well.

so I think I will go with some kind of summer beer, we can open it at our housewarming party which will have a lot of the same people so that will work out well.

Any suggestions on specific recipes?

I just brewed an apricot blonde for one of my neighbors about two weeks ago and checked this afternoon. the sample out of the fermenter had summer written all over it. I'll help him bottle it this weekend and it should be great in about 3+ weeks.

ok, I have decided to brew a cream ale this is the first time I will be making one but it is a fairly basic recipe so I think I will be fine. My birthday is this weekend and i have already picked up my grains and Hops. It will be a challenge to brew in a different kitchen for the first time. I am specifically worried about my jury rigged immersion chiller and how I will hook it up to their faucet, but its all an adventure so I will tackle the problems as they arise. Wish me luck.

Everything went well this weekend, most people were not overly interested in the brewing process but they did show up and sit around and drink while I worked and occasionally gave me an extra hand when I needed it. I did get a lot of people asking if they could drink it today, and when I explained that it needed to ferment and bottle condition I got a lot of sad faces. I think once its all done that we will have another get together for everyone to try the beer.

Back