Big Russian Imperial Stout--Christmas Present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfiac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

So I had a slow day at work and developed the recipe below based on a few that I found, and my own thoughts. The biggest deviation is 1.) the hop schedule and 2.) the smoked grain. The plan is to smoke 4lbs of 2-row for 20 minutes at 120* over pecan wood. I want the smoke to come through but not outshine the beer.

I'm sort of on an accelerated schedule because I want to bottle this (via the keg) a week before Christmas and give the bottles away as gift with the caviate that they should age a bit longer.

To clarify some of the confusing bits a, well, bit: the plan is to soak the oak cubes on Basil Hadens (it's what i have) for two weeks during fermentation. We're getting crazy temperature swings right now, so I plan to leave the jar outside so the oak can absorb the bourbon during the shrink-swell cycle of the wood. Once I rack to the keg (secondary), I'll add the oak and the .75 cup of bourbon and leave it in the fridge until the oak is just right. Then, I'll rack to another keg and let it age for hopefully a few weeks until I carb and bottle it via the beer gun.

As this is my fourth AG batch, I'd love to get your feedback and guidance on this recipe and process.

Profile:
1.111 OG
1.028 FG
84.2 IBU
11.1% ABV

Grain:
12 lbs 2-Row (58.5%)
4 lbs pecan smoked 2-row (19.5%)
1.5 lbs roasted barley (7.3%)
1 lbs Special B (5%)
1 lbs flaked barley (5%)
.5 lbs chocolate (2.4%)
.5 oz crystal 60*l (2%)
20.5 lbs Total Weight

Mash:
Mash in: 1 qts per lbs strike water (5.125 gal)
150* for 90 minutes
Mash out: 1.325 qts per lbs at 212* (1.813 gal)
Total mash volume: 7 gallons
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Hops:
60 min: 1.5 oz Chinook
15 min: 1.5 oz Chinook
5 min: 1 oz Chinook

Adjuncts:
3 OZ Coffee @ 5 min boil

Secondary:
3 oz med toasted American oak cubes
.75 cup bourbon at aging

Yeast:
2 x American Ale (1056). Make 2ltr starter

Notes: Soak oak and vanilla in bourbon jar during primary duration. Taste in secondary weekly to get oak profile correct. Age until Christmas time and bottle.

Back