Big Lots Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
Heads up for everyone that has a Big Lots. I bought a 5 gallon water cooler bottle for $7.00. It comes w/ a screw on lid that I drilled a hole into and added a bung for an airlock. I've got an Oktoberfest sitting in secondary right now. Just an FYI for anyone wanting to score a deal. :rockin:

Heads up for everyone that has a Big Lots. I bought a 5 gallon water cooler bottle for $7.00. It comes w/ a screw on lid that I drilled a hole into and added a bung for an airlock. I've got an Oktoberfest sitting in secondary right now. Just an FYI for anyone wanting to score a deal. :rockin:

Just look out for the number on the bottom. You want a 1 or a 2 if you're using a water bottle.

Water bottles are normally a #7. I wouldn't use them for a secondary, but for a primary they may work ok. I know some will disagree though.

What is the difference in #'s? I thought that was just for recycling. Mine has a "3" on the bottom.

Thanks, but a #3 shows PVC, like water pipes. Also, it is food grade plastic, so what's the big deal? I'm trying to find out because if the general consensus is that they're OK to use, I'm going to pick up a couple more for Apfelwein!

I think that there are 2 concerns... #1 the PH of the wort/beer is acidic, which could facilitate the breakdown or leaching of chemicals from the plastic into the beer. Also #2 is O2 permeability. Plasic itself is not as good at keeping out O2 as glass, and different plastics allow differing ammounts of O2 to pass through them into your beer, which is not a good thing.
I am not sure where a #3 stands, but food grade, or being able to hold potable water, is much different than fermenting or storing beer. Lets face it, we would never work this hard for water, there is a difference ;)

Pol
Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Back