Big Beer - when to increase ambient temp to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4teTheGreat

Reaction score
Apologies if this question belongs in the beginners forum...

tl;dr at what point should remove my swamp cooling setup and let the fermentor come up to ambient (happily a steady 68 - 70 in my condo)? Or is 70 too high in which case should I keep using a wet towel but without the fan?

Details:

I'm brewing a RIS with a target ABV of 11% (9lbs extract with specialty grains). I made a yeast starter, saw signs of fermentation the next day and got a vigorous fermentation overnight (krausen stuck to the lid of the bucket and foam in my blowoff tube).

I've been temp controlling with a wet towel and a fan and the thermometer on the side of the bucket has been within 66 and 68, not perfect, but more control then I have had previously. I noted this morning the temp was getting closer to 64 so I shut off the fan but kept the wet towel. Seems like fermentation may be slowing down.

Should I keep temps controlled through Sunday to hit a full 7 days? Should I just wait till activity has slowed and the blow off isn't bubbling frequently? I don't want to put the yeast to sleep given they are going to have their work cut out for them in finishing this beer anyway. Thanks!

-- Nathan

after the first few days, its pretty safe to let it warm up to reasonable room temps. I would probably do day 5-7. Probably even be safe on day 4. Anything past the first week is gonna have zero flavor impact unless it wildly gets out of control

You don't need to remove it. The water in the swamp cooler with rise to ambient without you restocking the ice. Just leave it there with no ice and everything will equilibrate with ambient.

Back