Big beer only dropped 27 points in 4 days. Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a big beer on Sunday (1.105). Pitched 2 packs of dry yeast (S04) that I rehydrated. Added 90 secs of O2 before pitching and another 60 seconds about 15 hours after pitching. This was a 3.5 gal batch into a 6 gal bucket, so I didn't see any bubbles in the blowoff tube, but that's normal for that batch size. I smelled/tasted/felt CO2 in my ferm chamber whenever I opened the lid, so I figured it was progressing fine. I replaced the blowoff with an airlock today and when I opened it, the krausen had dropped, so I took a gravity reading and it was only down to 1.079. This was corrected from a refractometer reading. So at least is dropped some, but at this point in fermentation, should it have dropped more?

I have only used SO4 a couple of times, but my experience tells me it ferments fairly quickly. At what temperature are you fermenting, and is it in a temperature controlled environment?

Yes, in a fermentation chamber. Started at 66, increased to 68 after a couple days. I roused the yeast and bumped it up to 70F after I took the reading.

Latest posts

Back