Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*EDIT* Pardons, wrong thread, wrong recipe, I was wrong... my mistake, sorry 'bout that...

Brewed this as a 5 gallon batch on Saturday (8/22/15). Pitched with Wyeast labs German Ale 1007 since I was not going to use S-04 and didn't have the chance to Lager it with Oktoberfest 2333. Pitched the yeast at 8:30 PM and it sounded like a motor boat was trolling the water in our closet at 8am. Glad I used a blow-off tube because the krausen had already worked its way out of the fermenter into the bucket of water w/ sanitizer. Can see the yeast are pretty happy in there. Bubbles have slowed today but still a lot of action going on inside. Will switch to an air-lock in the next day or so. Plan to then add gelatin to clarify around the end of week 3. Will then Keg and enjoy around wk 4-5. Excited to taste this one. Will update as I can.

Update: Finally kicked my Session IPA Keg to make room in the fridge for this to chill and add gelatin. Emptied the blowoff bucket that was filled with sanitized water and the krausen blowoff. I was surprised at how much yeast that got tossed with the blowoff. Had enough to finish the job though! Anyone else had the experience with tons of krausen and yeast escaping this one? Will be kegging tomorrow night, excited to taste it! :mug:

Just kegged and carbed this last night! Can't wait to pull a few pints tonight!!

Is everyone letting this sit for the 28 days like the original recipe says, or are some of you bottling/kegging sooner? I was kinda thinking about letting this site for 2 weeks in primary and then bottling, but not sure if I will be losing out on something?

This recipe is amazing! 41 days after brewing it I opened a bottle and was ecstatic. This is a wonderful malty beer that reminds me of an Oktoberfest Lager, despite fermenting like an Ale. If anyone is on the fence to brew this, I say DO IT! If you want a beer that is similar to an Oktoberfest, without lagering, this is the one! Thanks @BierMuncher for this recipe!! Cheers....:mug:

How long was your fermentation vs bottle conditioning/carb'ing?

Did you use a secondary? Did you cold crash? What yeast?

How long was your fermentation vs bottle conditioning/carb'ing?

Did you use a secondary? Did you cold crash? What yeast?

My notes are at home but I know I used the yeast in the OP, SafeAle-04. My primary was about 7-10 days (which is normal for all my brews). I did not use a secondary or cold crash. I went from primary to bottling bucket to 6 bottles and keg. I bottle 6 so I can taste along the way and keg the rest. I did throw some gelatin in the keg and then gassed it in my keezer where she sits today waiting to be tapped in November for our party. Just an all-around great beer.

My notes are at home but I know I used the yeast in the OP, SafeAle-04. My primary was about 7-10 days (which is normal for all my brews). I did not use a secondary or cold crash. I went from primary to bottling bucket to 6 bottles and keg. I bottle 6 so I can taste along the way and keg the rest. I did throw some gelatin in the keg and then gassed it in my keezer where she sits today waiting to be tapped in November for our party. Just an all-around great beer.

Awesome, thanks!

I was wondering so I could plan how long it should sit in fermenter. Sounds like 2 weeks max would be good and then 3-4 weeks in the bottle would be good, yea?

Awesome, thanks!

I was wondering so I could plan how long it should sit in fermenter. Sounds like 2 weeks max would be good and then 3-4 weeks in the bottle would be good, yea?

Just looked at my notes and I let it sit in the primary for 11 days before bottling/kegging. Then tasted a month later and loved it! Of course, it will get better with age so your last bottle will be your best. Good luck.

Is everyone letting this sit for the 28 days like the original recipe says, or are some of you bottling/kegging sooner? I was kinda thinking about letting this site for 2 weeks in primary and then bottling, but not sure if I will be losing out on something?

Like I mentioned before, I just let my primary sit for 11 days then bottled/kegged it. After a month in the bottle I tried it and loved it! I brewed mine in July with the intent not to tap the keg until end of November as to let her age. Based on my sample this past weekend, I hope I don't tap it sooner or it will be gone..lol. You can let it sit as long as you want in the primary but I'm in the camp where once it hits my projected FG then I'm bottling/kegging. No sense in letting it sit once it hits the FG. At least that's my opinion.

Like I mentioned before, I just let my primary sit for 11 days then bottled/kegged it. After a month in the bottle I tried it and loved it! I brewed mine in July with the intent not to tap the keg until end of November as to let her age. Based on my sample this past weekend, I hope I don't tap it sooner or it will be gone..lol. You can let it sit as long as you want in the primary but I'm in the camp where once it hits my projected FG then I'm bottling/kegging. No sense in letting it sit once it hits the FG. At least that's my opinion.

Great thanks! That means a total 6 week fermentation+bottle condition will get me some tasty bottles before the winter start (most importantly)!

Did you happen to note your mash temp? I'm going to do a full volume brew-in-a-bag method and was thinking 156 to go with S-04.

Did you happen to note your mash temp? I'm going to do a full volume brew-in-a-bag method and was thinking 156 to go with S-04.

Mashed in at 156.2 and held it there for an hour. I did a 90 min boil as well. I started my fermentation temp at 62 degrees and increased it to 66 after 3 days.

First keg of this just kicked, time to swap out to the second one. Maybe 11 gallons wasn't enough to get me to the end of October.

To answer your question quickly, I went 18 days total and kegged.
I had mine in the fermenter 15 days. Chilled 1 full day. Added gelatin and let sit for 2 days. kegged last night (some of the most clear beer that I have made by the way!), Sitting in the keg now at ~10-12PSI for a few days then will dial down to 5-7 PSI to serve. Tasted great from my FG measure... can't wait to see what its like carb'd up! :mug:

Update: Finally kicked my Session IPA Keg to make room in the fridge for this to chill and add gelatin. Emptied the blowoff bucket that was filled with sanitized water and the krausen blowoff. I was surprised at how much yeast that got tossed with the blowoff. Had enough to finish the job though! Anyone else had the experience with tons of krausen and yeast escaping this one? Will be kegging tomorrow night, excited to taste it! :mug:

Wanted to post an updated (with some pics if I can get them to show up) since I used the Wyeast Labs German Ale 1007. I was afraid that this yeast strain would stay in suspension even with the use of gelatin. Since it even states that it is know for staying in suspension post fermentation on the Wyeast Labs website, I was timid to use it. I bit the bullet and tried it. Used the gelatin after it chilled at 40 degrees for 24 hours. Checked it and it was still pretty murky. I gave it (another) gentle swirl and left it for another 24 hours. Decided to go ahead and keg since it was looking less cloudy. Moved the fermenter to my kitchen about 2 hours before kegging to let if settle more after the move. Kegged a nice looking and clear beer. Put the co2 to it and got it back in the fridge. Don;t know if this will last until my Oktoberfest party...

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

If that's your definition of clear, I'd hate to see your unclear beers! ;)

I would say next time to wait one more day, but since you're kegging, if you give it some more time in the fridge, it'll still likely clear up some more.

figure I'd piggy back off this thread. I was looking for feedback on my "poor man's Octoberfest " recipe.

I'm using 2 row bc it's cheap, pils for some crispness (and kinda cheap in bulk), caramunich for malty sweetness Munich flavor, caravienne for malty toasty Vienna flavor, aromatic for more maltyness to make up for the fact that there's hardly any Munich base malt, same for the Biscuit malt and the lack of Vienna base malt. Special B for some color. I will double decoct this:

51% 2 row

29% pils

5% Munich

4% caramunich

4% caravienne

4% biscuit

4% aromatic

1% special B

Is my thinking adding up here?

Lol the hydrometer wasn't immaculately spotless and had some condensation built up on it since the beer was at 50 degrees. I did think about waiting longer, but my schedule wasn't going to let me get to it. Like you said too, it will have more time in the keg to continue to clear out some. Will see in a week or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lol the hydrometer wasn't immaculately spotless and had some condensation built up on it since the beer was at 50 degrees. I did think about waiting longer, but my schedule wasn't going to let me get to it. Like you said too, it will have more time in the keg to continue to clear out some. Will see in a week or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

I was mainly just messing with you. But I usually cold crash for 24 hours, gelatin for 48 hours, or more if time permits. I figure more time at those temps can't hurt it.

But in all reality, as long as it tastes good, clarity isn't a huge issue. I mean sure if you're serving it up at a wedding or a big event, you want it to look the best. But if you and your family and friends are the ones enjoying it, not a big deal at all.

I altered this recipe a bit, mashed at 154, and finished right at 1.014 (5.0abv). Nice and malty, just a touch on the dryer side like I like. Entering in a competition this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

So, I am a little concerned that half of my batch may be infected. I usually brew 2 gallon batches so when I brewed a bigger 3 gallon batch of OktoberFAST I split them between two fermenters. They sat in my ferm chamber for 5 days at 68 degrees F and both seemed (not 100% psoitive) to have completed their fermentation, at least as far as visible signs. Since the ambient temp in my basement is 68 degrees, I decided to move them out to free up space and in doing so I wanted to take a sample and see how things were progressing. So, I removed the airlock from one container and poured a bit through the spigot and replaced the airlock. Since then, that fermenter has been bubbling once ever 10 minutes or so for the passed two days.

I am wondering if this could be because I reintroduced oxygen and fermentation is taking off again or if maybe some sort of bug got in there and infected it. I couldn't help myself but to pop the lid and see if there were any abnormal looking krausen or particulates, but everything looks relatively normal. Maybe it is just a fluke?

Could just be residual CO2 coming out of suspension. Sometimes I get the something if I move a fermenter from the floor up onto a table where I ferment at, never had an infection, but have seen what you're describing.

S04 throw a lot of flavors to me, even at 67 F. I'm confused how it works so well for a recipe meant to taste like a lager?

I've read 50+ pages and saw people mention 2112 California lager yeast but not how long to lagered for. Is 4 weeks at 60-65 enough time? I've never lagered before but the lhbs guy talked me into because it sounded perfect for this recipe.

I just bottled an Anderson Valley Winter Solstice "clone" and used 2112. Most of what I've read has said to handle it like an ale strain, its a lager strain that performs at ale temps more or less. So, I did 4 weeks primary and bottle this past weekend. Sample tasted good, clean and crisp. Not quite as crisp as a normal lager but that could be due to being warm and uncarbed, and might be overcome by actually lagering it for a few weeks.

Just found this thread but at 74 pages....ugghhh.

Is there a consensus on the yeast?

SA-04 is what the majority use I think. I am not a fan of the flavor that or the 05. I used Wyeast Labs German Ale 1007 since I could not get it to colder temps initially. I was at 75-72 degrees consistently. And since it's a mock German beer, I decided on the 1007 yeast strain.

If you like 04, I would stick to the original recipe and tweak as you see fit afterwards. :mug:

I've used 04 a few times with this grain bill. I've left it for a week at 65 (thermowell), never an off flavor or misplaced ester.

I'm beginning to wonder if people sometimes mistake a beer flavor (off, or otherwise) for yeast ester, almost always with dry yeast. It seems that, when chasing a clean profile, brewers often think, "If Nottingham/04/05 is supposed to be fermented mid-sixties, it should taste like clean water at high 50's!" Even lager yeasts can impart some sweetness that accompanies the malty flavors of the beer.

All yeasts contribute their flavor. But at proper temps, 04 will not impart any associated banana, berry, or apple flavors.

Mind you, I'd like to see an authentic Oktoberfest vs. an (m)Oktoberfest vs. OktoberFAST taste off. :)

Bottled tonight. Disregard the haze in the sample picture. I bottle straight from the fermenter and the hydrometer sample is the first pour, so it has some sediment in it. After it ran for a while it was very clear.
Came in a little under OG when boiled @ 1.046 and finished at 1.016..so just shy of 4%ABV, but I am not complaining!

oktoberfast-color.jpg

oktoberfast-bottles.jpg

Sorry if this question has been addressed somewhere in the previous 76 pages of dialogue, but would there be any adverse effects to skipping the secondary and leaving for extended aging in the primary? I have 10 gallons split over two carboys of this stuff currently brewing and am having a hard time freeing up some addional vessels... Would extended aging in the primary and then straight to the keg present any issues?

Sorry if this question has been addressed somewhere in the previous 76 pages of dialogue, but would there be any adverse effects to skipping the secondary and leaving for extended aging in the primary? I have 10 gallons split over two carboys of this stuff currently brewing and am having a hard time freeing up some addional vessels... Would extended aging in the primary and then straight to the keg present any issues?

i never secondary.

3-4 weeks in primary should be sufficient, no need for secondary. Not adding fruit, coffee, Brett, etc no need for secondary.

Brewing this this weekend. Bought all the ingredients last weekend and I figure based on what I've seen here that if I brew on the 26th, leave it in primary for three weeks, then bottle condition for two weeks, it should be ready on Halloween.
The only change I made was replacing the Tet with Saaz. My LHBS didn't have Tet. Anyone else use Saaz?

This beer it's great! Just don't brew it in august because it finishes fast, then you cold crash it, then you keg it, then it's gone by September 10th hahaha!!

Sooo... IMHO, if kegging, I'd brew this beer in early sept, let sit 2-3 weeks, cold crash then keg and carb and be drinking it halfway thru October. If you're gunna bottle condition then brew in mid August..

Back