Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kegged my version of this with Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast, and the hydro sample tasted great! Attenuated a little too far, down to 1.010 and 5.5% ABV, but I'm really looking forward to fall with this beer.

Has anyone ever tried adding pumpkin pie spices to this one? I was thinking about making a 5 gal batch of this, splitting it into two Mr. Beer kegs, and adding a pumpkin pie spice tincture/dry hop to one of them. I'd love to have two beers ready for Halloween, but only have time for one brew. I used the thread search but couldn't find anything. Thanks!!

I just brewed this yesterday. I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch and added 10% to the grain bill to account for my usually crappy and inconsistent mash efficiency (~66-70%). I actually got about 74% instead and overshot my gravity, hit 1.056, which isn't too off I suppose.

I aerated and pitched my yeast yesterday at 5pm and this morning at 6am (13hrs later) that one pack of dry US04 is moving through it. My experience with dry yeast is that is usually takes 24-36 hours to get moving but this took off right away. It's bubbling away at 68°F in my fermentation chamber. Hopefully this turns out well for Halloween.

I brewed a batch up yesterday and split it into two LBKs as planned. In two weeks my plan is to add pumpkin pie spices to one of them, but am willing to change my mind if people think it would be cruel and unusual punishment to an otherwise fine brew. I found one commercial example online, so at least someone else has tried it with some success.

Turns out the Hallertau from my LHBS were 2.7% AA and I didn't notice til I got home, so I tossed in 0.5 oz of Perle that I had in the fridge to get the IBUs up. My sample was nice and malty and it seemed to me that it would be amenable to some pumpkin flavors.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Im brewing this on sunday. We just moved and I have a new garage/brewery to figure out.. should be a fun and educating session haha! My last garage was all dialed in, all I did was turn a water valve and light my burners!

Just racked my 10 gallons to secondary after 2 weeks in primary, final gravity was right at 1.016, and the sample was delicious. Looking forward to kegging this one in a few weeks.

Done!! WTF?? Had a rough time at my new place gettin this done!! Stuck sparge twice! made for a late night! But its ok, im in the carboy at 10:15 pm pacific time! Im gunna drink a beer or twelve now!!

Ooops

1411276878409.jpg

I brewed this last year and it was excellent. I'm mashing in this years batch as I type.

Good stuff!

I just got done making this exactly as posted and hope it turns out good. I am a fan of the Octoberfest by SA so hope it is close. Planing on going with the 1 week primary 4 weeks secondary and 1 week in keg before taping.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Wow! Down to 1.010 in a week and tastes and smells amazing!! Nice and clear, this sample is better than SA or KS Oktoberfest IMO!

1411998529172.jpg

1411998548673.jpg

If I can't secondary would it be acceptable to just leave it in primary for a total of 5 weeks?

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Many don't secondary anything unless adding fruits, spices, etc. There are differing opinions on this topic, but I generally don't secondary and have yet to have any problems.

Many don't secondary anything unless adding fruits, spices, etc. There are differing opinions on this topic, but I generally don't secondary and have yet to have any problems.

+1 Same - only, I actually rarely secondary even with spices/fruit (depending on qty). I have an oaked brew I throw 4 oz rum soaked chips into along with 2 vanilla beans straight into the primary after 3 weeks. Leave it there for 10 days. No issues on this one. Just did it on Sunday :D

Awesome thank you hopefully I have the funds for the recipe this month since I just freed up my fermenter :)

Hey one more question what was your average cost for this beer turns out I maye have the funds for it as long as it's under 35 dollars

Ok ignore my last post I called my LHBS and gave them the recipe and it came out to 33 dollars grains hops and yeast saweeet looks like i just might be brewing this up this weekend.

Damn I must be annoying well my LHBS dosnt have the 20l Munich malt they said they only had 7 and 9 L what would be a good substitue or addition to get the color to where it's supposed to be

I think this may be this weekends project!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just kegged and carbed this tonight. Ill post pics of my final product tomorrow or the next day!

Just racked into secondary can't wait to keg. Hope it drops a few more points before then so I can hit my numbers. Smells and looks good oh and taste good to.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412458808.615300.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412458822.367892.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My neighbor loved this one yesterday during Brewday he stopped over and checked out what the hell was going on in my garage. Thanks BM. next brew of this I'm gonna add some flavoring I think.

I have opened a few bottles of mine and it just seems to be lacking something. Not sure what but it doesn't have that crisp caramel malt like taste. Seems to be more of just a pale malt coming through. Anybody else ever notice this and hasn't changed with some extra time?

I have opened a few bottles of mine and it just seems to be lacking something. Not sure what but it doesn't have that crisp caramel malt like taste. Seems to be more of just a pale malt coming through. Anybody else ever notice this and hasn't changed with some extra time?

My biggest problem was that my chosen strain over-attenuated (1.010), leaving it with a slightly thinner body (not thin, just thinner), and lacking a touch of maltiness. Still really enjoyable, and still VERY drinkable.

I got the same thing goin on Bolus. Carbonation is there just missing somethin ya know? That's why I'm gonna flavor it up with something during secondary fermentation like a little vanilla bean or rum soaked wood chips I saw someone post earlier in here. I didn't hit my gravities like I wanted to either so I think that's contributing to the lack of flavor as well.

My biggest problem was that my chosen strain over-attenuated (1.010), leaving it with a slightly thinner body (not thin, just thinner), and lacking a touch of maltiness. Still really enjoyable, and still VERY drinkable.

I used the yeast in the original recipe and finished out at 1.020. I probably should have tried to shake the bucket to suspend yeast again but didn't. Hydro sample taste pretty good so well see. Started at 1.052

I used WY1450 which has been over attenuating on everything compared to what Wyeast list it should be getting. This went down to 1.005, which gave me 90% apparent attenuation, so that could very well be my issue. Due to the nature of that strain it doesn't come across as thin, but it's lacking what I would look for in a Marzen/Okto. It's easily drinkable, ended with 5.7% ABV so it's not overkill.

I've gotten better attenuation on almost every beer i've made, so I don't know if I just need to raise my mash temps a couple degrees, or just plan for 5% better attenuation that what's normal. All part of the hobby I guess.

I've gotten better attenuation on almost every beer i've made, so I don't know if I just need to raise my mash temps a couple degrees, or just plan for 5% better attenuation that what's normal. All part of the hobby I guess.

I'd try mashing higher. If I brew this again with the same yeast (Mangrove Jack's US West Coast Ale), I'll probably mash somewhere around 158-160.

Same exact thing with mine

Heres mine! Virtually no head, but tastes and looks absolutely amazing!! Crystal clear after a week of carbonation and almost gone already haha!!

1413059408807.jpg

Looks great, I just Kegged up 10 gallons yesterday, going to let it carb up for a week or two.

I brewed this up about a month ago and split a 5 gallon batch into 2 Mr. Beer kegs. I left one alone and to the other I added a spice tea of 1 oz. of dark rum, 1 split and chopped vanilla bean, and 1/2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for about a week. I primed the pumpkin one with brown sugar. Both hydro samples were good, but I preferred the pumpkin one, which I have dubbed Pumptoberfest. I am really happy with how it turned out. I'm almost wishing I had spiced the full 5 gallons.

I just doughed in my first batch of this. Brewing in the chilly garage is a challenge, glad i have a program to tell me my strike Temps! If my cooler insulates it enough, i nailed my mash temp. I may shorten the length of the man mash so my Temps don't drop too low. I'm really looking forward to this one!

I brewed this in late July. It was good at first, but now the last dozen or so bottles I have left are WICKED AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

4 months in the bottle?!? It held out that long without going bad?? I'll have to remember that next time. What did your ABV come out to?

4 months in the bottle?!? It held out that long without going bad?? I'll have to remember that next time. What did your ABV come out to?

I may need to get a better understanding of the question...."going bad"? Your beer goes bad? That saddens me. I have stuff that's been in a bottle for 3 years and it's awesome. Normally my batches last at minimum 6 months...and that's only because I drink it by then.

I usually brew Hoppy IPAs so I tried to drink it fresh. So I guess that's just what I'm used to and not letting stuff sit for so long assuming that these hoppier ones will go bad in the matter of months. I was just saying it's good to know that we can let the stuff sit for that long. What was your ABV on this one?

gotcha. FWIW, I've let some IPAs age too. They are WAY different than their original tastes, absolutely, but not bad...just different ;)

I've been subscribed to this thread for 2 years but haven't made the beer yet lol. I have an Oktoberfest that I have made during those two years but made them in March to sit for 6 months during the summer, etc etc. Usually have ~6.5% on that one. Maybe it's the yeast, but that one was SUPER well received this year and it needed the additional time to mellow.

Latest posts

Back