Biere Brut / Biere de Champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codydorris1

Reaction score
The best beer I have ever had was Adelberts Sundowner which is a Biere Brut. I didn't realize it at the time but it seems to be an incredibly rare type of beer. As far as I can tell there are only a hand full of brewery's that make it in the US. Has anyone tried brewing it? I know it utilizes a champagne yeast which gives it the unique mouth feel and taste.

I see know one has responded. I've been kicking around the idea of trying my hand at brewing one of these. But I think you've got it wrong with yeast, or partly wrong. From my limited research primary fermentation is carried out with a Belgian ale yeast, there is a secondary fermentation carried out with champagne yeast and an addition of priming sugar and then a tertiary fermentation after you "riddle and disgorge" the beer. Looking at some recipes it looks like the champagne mouthfeel comes from the high levels of carbonation and the dry nature of the beer due to the amount of simple sugar used in the malt bill, I've seen 20%+.

I've read about Brut IPAs being made out in Cali lately. My local brewery, Triptych, has been experimenting with the idea but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. The article I read was saying they are using an enzyme to reduce the body/mouthfeel without losing ABV. I forget the name of the enzyme, but apparently it's used often in big heavy stouts to make them more palatable. (I don't have any commercial examples, or recall the name of the enzyme but I hope someone on here might have more information)

Is the enzyme the same stuff that is in Beano? Brewers use that to make wort extra fermentable.

Bringing back a thread from the dead with an update. So I first found Deus Brut de Flanders in Belgium https://www.totalwine.com/beer/ale/...e-champagne/deus-brut-des-flandres/p/20032750

i have since found it in Florida. Love this beer and the idea of riddling and disgorging a beer in the Methode Champenoise. First attempt worked well. My second attempt was too sweet of a beer that never attenuated enough. I think my third attempt has hit the sweet spot. So my recipe is based on a Belgium Golden Strong with Nelson Sauvin to provide some white wine character. I used enzymes to ferment the beer completely dry. After that it was re-ferment in the bottle at 6 volumes, freeze and disgorge the yeast plug, top off with some uncarbonated beer and cork.

Recipe:
Pilsen Stars
5.5 Gallon Recipe
90% Belgium Pilsner
10% Rye Malt

‘Magnum at 60 minutes for 29 IBU
Nelson Sauvin at 10 minutes for 13 IBU
1.5 oz Nelson Sauvin at flameout.

2 packs of M31 yeast.
added FastFerment Enzymes To the fermenter.

OG 1.080 (I missed my pre boil numbers and added 1lb of sugar to get the OG)
FG 0.998

BottlEd in Champagne bottles using sugar to have 6 volumes of CO2. After refermentation in the bottle I placed the bottles in my chest freezer at 35 degrees upside down. For a few weeks I would swish the bottles to help the yeast settle to the neck.

To disgorge the yeast plug, I used everclear and dry ice in a metal container to submerge the neck of the bottle to freeze the yeast plug. Then pop the cap and let the pressure shoot the yeast plug out of the bottle. Some times I had to use a metal spoon to scoop out some of the frozen yeast. Corked Caged and done. This beer has turned out fantastic. Using the enzymes produced the dry finish I was looking for. But since this is a beer and the use of Nelson Sauvin hops you still get some sweetness.
3B337D1A-E3F3-4D06-86B2-A4832C7FA2B6.jpeg
6AF48E19-C61A-47B2-86EF-9062ACCB3CC0.jpeg
3B337D1A-E3F3-4D06-86B2-A4832C7FA2B6.jpeg
6AF48E19-C61A-47B2-86EF-9062ACCB3CC0.jpeg
0857111B-AECC-434A-AC9E-AEAC04BD9111.jpeg
26ECF3D9-0291-4CB7-8D75-B957DD1C1DAD.jpeg

Back