BIAB w/40% Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
Looking for folks with actual experience brewing BIAB with high percentages of non-diastatic adjuncts.

I brewed an american light lager with 57% floor malted bohemian pilsner malt, 3% acidulated malt, and 40% pregelatinized rice,total bill 7+pounds. Mashing lower - 149F - I got a failed starch test after 60 minutes, so I let it go for another 30, still failed, said "screw it", brought it up to mash-out, boiled, fermented, kegged and drank. Brew club tasters were shocked at how good it was. Nice. But still, failed starch test.

From what I can tell, the diastatic power of the pils malt is 120. Dividing that by the total grain bill, I still have total DP of over 65, more than enough to convert the rice.

My first thought is that the DP of the pils may not actually be 120. My second thought is that a grain bill that small in a full volume mash may be too thin to work effectively on a mash with high adjuncts.

Have you ever done a mash like this, and how did it go?

How fine was the grain milled? Unless it was very fine it will likely fail a starch test. Thinner mashes seem to work as well as thick mashes for this.

How fine was the grain milled? Unless it was very fine it will likely fail a starch test. Thinner mashes seem to work as well as thick mashes for this.
It was milled to powder, using a corona-type mill. 80% mash efficiency. Have you done a batch with this much non-diastatic ingredients with BIAB?

I used a mix of minute rice and cornmeal with one batch. I did not do a starch test after the mash though. As i remember it I had similar or higher mash efficiency but with pale malt, not floor malted.

My first thought is that the DP of the pils may not actually be 120. My second thought is that a grain bill that small in a full volume mash may be too thin to work effectively on a mash with high adjuncts.

Cannot help you with experience, but WEY does not generally list DP. However, their Diastatic Barley Malt has at least 250WK, which is 76 degrees Lintner -- not anywhere near what you are expecting.

Back