BIAB ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB is usually a full volume mash. You use the full volume of water expected for the start of boil and mash in that, then squeeze all the wort you can from the bag.

There are many variations on that. I like to mash in a little less water as it keeps the pot from running over when I add the grains, then do a sparge with cold water (makes the grains in the bag cooler so I can squeeze harder without burning my hands) to make up the full preboil volume. Doing that raises my efficiency by about 5% too.

Since grain amounts vary by recipe, there is no standard "ratio". I like to think in terms of total water...so for a 3 gal batch you will need (batch size + trub losses + boiloff + grain absorption) = Total Water. Or roughly (3 + .5 + 1 + .5) or roughly 5 gallons total water to start.

I just did a BIAB and did the standard 1.25 quarts per pound of grain for mashing, which meant I started with 3.5 gallons of mash water. I then dumped 2.5 gallons of 165 degree water over the bag after the mash. After squeezing the bag I ended up with 5 gallons of wort. Had to top it off with another gallon of water for the boil. After the boil I had 5 gallons of wort with an OG of 1.050.

then do a sparge with cold water (makes the grains in the bag cooler so I can squeeze harder without burning my hands)

That's not a terrible idea at all. I normally twist the bag up tight and try to squeeze it against the side of the pot....

I do 2 to 3 gallon batches on my stove top and typically do no sparge just because I don't care much about efficiency for this method. I get about 60% mashing with a full volume, sometimes 65%.

Beersmith has BIAB. I've only done one, but it was pretty accurate on the volumes. It recommended more water to start than some other calculators, but worked for me. I hit my desired end volume pretty closely.

That's not a terrible idea at all. I normally twist the bag up tight and try to squeeze it against the side of the pot....

I do 2 to 3 gallon batches on my stove top and typically do no sparge just because I don't care much about efficiency for this method. I get about 60% mashing with a full volume, sometimes 65%.

You need to get a finer crush. Without sparging I usually end up closer to 80% efficiency. :rockin:

Something else that really improves efficiency with BIAB is a 10-15 min mashout at ~170 degrees. I have over 75 BIAB sessions under my belt and when I first started I omitted the temp ramp up/mashout and was getting about 65%. After troubleshooting my technique, I decided to try 170 degree mashout on my next batch and I immediately got 78%. I am now consistently getting between 76 to 78% with 10 to 12 lb grain bills.

Jim

Something else that really improves efficiency with BIAB is a 10-15 min mashout at ~170 degrees. I have over 75 BIAB sessions under my belt and when I first started I omitted the temp ramp up/mashout and was getting about 65%. After troubleshooting my technique, I decided to try 170 degree mashout on my next batch and I immediately got 78%. I am now consistently getting between 76 to 78% with 10 to 12 lb grain bills.

Jim

Do you use the burner while the bag is in the pot?
Or lift the bag, use the burner, and lower the bag?

While the bag is in the pot. Just have to have a way to keep the bag off of the bottom of the pot so you don't scorch or melt the bag.

Tubbster85 said:
While the bag is in the pot. Just have to have a way to keep the bag off of the bottom of the pot so you don't scorch or melt the bag.

I use a frying cage with stainless bolts through the bottom up raise the cage about 1.5 inches

I am currently in the process of building a new system, still BIAB, but electric. I will have constant recirculation via a dedicated pump with a PID controlling the in-kettle heating element. But, here's how I've done it for the past 6 years:

My current setup uses the 62 quart Bayou Classic, but I use the 36 qt basket and I have 4 stainless steel bolts as legs. I position the bottom of the basket about 4.5" above the bottom of the kettle. I typically recirculate while ramping up the temps on the burner until I reach ~170 degrees. Then I put the lid on, with no heat, and let stand for about 10 to 15 minutes. I can usually get a temp of ~170 degrees in ~8 minutes from mash temps.

Jim

My process is like ragtops mad I also get in the low 80s (I plan for 82).

Full volume, turn on the heating elements to get it to 170 (while stirring the grains), and the let it sit for 10 minutes.

I don't bother squeezing the bag much any more. I have the bag on a pulley and just let it hang over the pot for 10 or 15 minutes. My efficiency is good enough and I just want things to be easy. Also, beer. :)

Back