Biab mesh basket setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you using a bag before? I would be curious on your first brew with the basket about your crush, efficiency, pump flow rate and whether you have and stuck sparge issues.

I just got my arborfab basket to replace my bag (stuck recirculation issues), did the first brew yesterday. Crushed at .41" (on feeler, tight, not a measured wire), hit 1.069 / 79% efficiency (after kettle/system losses) with a 45min mash, and 2 gallon pour-over sparge , recirculating mash with a couple good stirs just in case.

I just got my arborfab basket to replace my bag (stuck recirculation issues), did the first brew yesterday. Crushed at .41" (on feeler, tight, not a measured wire), hit 1.069 / 79% efficiency (after kettle/system losses) with a 45min mash, and 2 gallon pour-over sparge , recirculating mash with a couple good stirs just in case.

With that crush try mashing longer, perhaps as long as 75 minutes. You may not have all the starches converted and sugar extracted in 45 minutes.

Were you using a bag before? I would be curious on your first brew with the basket about your crush, efficiency, pump flow rate and whether you have and stuck sparge issues.

This is a first dive into all grain brewing for me. Been brewing extract kits for 2 years just to make sure the hobby stuck. I'll be brewing with this system in may or June. Lots of home projects to complete before the fun stuff can start.

Have about 6 batches under my belt so far. Crush is like a .32 I think. The smallest gap on the kegking 3 roller mill. Mash efficiency is like 86-87%. Pump is full on the entire time with no flow issues whatsoever. Have my brew house efficiency set to 73% on beersmith and have been hitting my numbers almost right on. Beer has been great as well.

Wide open from beginning to end. Only time I throttle the pump is when I'm running the wort through the cfc into the fermenter.

I was thinking of putting a valve in to throttle the pump flow into the basket. Either at the pump itself or right before the wort re-enters the kettle.

Latest posts

Back