BIAB Imperial Stout and potential parti-gyle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdanderson1449

Reaction score
I was reading about this method earlier today with traditional brewing. Have any of you ever done this with BIAB? Would be a pretty sweet way to get a little extra wort out of a big batch of grain.

I've heard of it, but can't figure how it works. I squeeze every last drop out of my grain bag. Can't imagine there is any sugar left in there for a second brew no matter how week.

While I don't think technically I've done a partigyle, I have had my efficiency be way higher than anticipated so I made two different beers. The big batch (6 gallon) was a IIPA, and the smaller batch (3 gallon) I would classify as a session IPA.

Basically my preboil gravity was so high I pulled a half gallon of wort out and diluted it with a half gallon of water.

Then I continued to pour over sparge the grains into another bucket, combined that sparge with that half gallon of wort I had removed earlier, and boiled it like regular.

Ended up with 6 gallons of 1.074 and 3 gallons at 1.035. And two very tasty beers!

I'm planning to do a RIS soon and the grain bill is 20 pounds for five gallons and expected pre-boil gravity is supposed to be quite high.

I'm thinking of something a little more quaffable with the second brew like a porter or a stout. I'm really not that concerned about it since it's really bonus beer.

Back