BG14 Burner Issues, Please help troubleshoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblank44

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have had my set up now for 2 brews, and loads of problems. Here are my issues.

I get a pop-back everytime I use the burner all the time. I did notice that I threaded the needle valve in the reverse direction on accident. Could this cause it? I also have the needle valve sorta close to the inlet (4 inches from the orface), should it be controlled a little farther away? I have toyed with the opening and the gas speed so many times and it still always happens. I will take a video tomorrow and post it here.

Secondly, my second burner now barely works at all. The flame is extremely tiny and doesnt change with increased gas flow or anything and has a whistle. Is the orface broken? I am going to try fixing the needle valve in the next few days and see if that does anything.

Any help is great.

Thanks!

Are you using propane or natural gas?

Does the "popping" happen continuously while running the burner or only when you shut the burner off completely. If the former you're likely running way too lean a fuel/air mix so the burner venturi chamber is igniting from above.

The second problem does indeed read like the needle broke free of the valve and is sitting in the valve seat.

Cheers!

Are you using propane or natural gas?

Does the "popping" happen continuously while running the burner or only when you shut the burner off completely. If the former you're likely running way too lean a fuel/air mix so the burner venturi chamber is igniting from above.

The second problem does indeed read like the needle broke free of the valve and is sitting in the valve seat.

Cheers!

The flame pops back and becomes in the tube running to the burner. I have to cut the valve and let it cool then try again. Does it all the time. I don't hear many people having this problem

Back