Beware of Auber Instruments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, that sounds good, but just think of home brew supply shipping then!!! Your MOS?

Then, for the record, I'll be ordering from Auber again in the event I need another control.

That's your choice. I would personally prefer to do business with companies that actually seem to care that I get the items that I pay for.

So my car got stolen from in front of my house the other day and I'm still waiting for the dealer to drop me off a new one.....

It's not Aubers "Obligation" to send out new product when they have already fulfilled their commitment to you when that package hit the carriers floor. If you want to gripe at someone then it should be the carrier, but even then they delivered the package and fulfilled their obligation to Auber by delivering the parcel to the location YOU specified.

So my car got stolen from in front of my house the other day and I'm still waiting for the dealer to drop me off a new one.....

It's not Aubers "Obligation" to send out new product when they have already fulfilled their commitment to you when that package hit the carriers floor. If you want to gripe at someone then it should be the carrier, but even then they delivered the package and fulfilled their obligation to Auber by delivering the parcel to the location YOU specified.

What if the dealer hired a company to drop off your new car (that you have yet to touch), they say they dropped it off but its not there when you get home. Perhaps it was stolen after they dropped it of..... You don't contact or expect the dealer to get involved here? The company hired to deliver the car is not going to deal with you, they don't have any business relationship with you, you haven't even paid them the dealership had. Of course this isn't a realistic example, as normally people would want someone there to accept something of this value.

As the OP mentioned, and as I have experienced before FedEX will not deal with the receiver in these cases, so the only person he can "gripe" at would be Auber.

Apples to oranges, this has no merit. I think the op is totally in the right. 1) fed ex dropped the signature required aspect unless specified by the shipper.
2) Auber does not have a box to specify if you want someone to sign for it. So the customer is denied this option by Auber.
3) if Auber is aware that fed ex rarely pays claims then why continue to do business with them.

What if the dealer hired a company to drop off your new car (that you have yet to touch), they say they dropped it off but its not there when you get home. Perhaps it was stolen after they dropped it of..... You don't contact or expect the dealer to get involved here? The company hired to deliver the car is not going to deal with you, they don't have any business relationship with you, you haven't even paid them the dealership had. Of course this isn't a realistic example, as normally people would want someone there to accept something of this value.

As the OP mentioned, and as I have experienced before FedEX will not deal with the receiver in these cases, so the only person he can "gripe" at would be Auber.

I agree, the "contract" was between the customer and Auber (not FedEX). Auber states on their website that they use FedEx for the shipping, and does not offer the customer any additional choices. Since no other choices are offered I believe that Auber is still responsible for the delivery (or lack there of) of the package, until the customer physically lays hands on the item. Auber obviously has a commercial account with FedEx (as noted in the email regarding Auber contacting their "local FedEx account manager"), and should resolve the issue with them. The customer paid for a product, and did not receive it. Auber should have shipped a new product to the customer immediately, and taken up the claim with FedEx.

If this type of thing happens more frequently that Auber would like, and they have problems receiving reimbursement money from the claim, then they have the right to change shipping companies. Also, it would be a good idea for Auber to require signatures on all orders over a certain monetary value to mitigate issues like this regardless of carrier.

Bottom line, if Auber wants to provide good customer service, then they should have made certain that the customer received the product, as described, in the least amount of time possible. Making the customer wait for claims, or pay additional money with the promise that they would "pay him back" is bad customer service.

I agree, the "contract" was between the customer and Auber (not FedEX). Auber states on their website that they use FedEx for the shipping, and does not offer the customer any additional choices. Since no other choices are offered I believe that Auber is still responsible for the delivery (or lack there of) of the package, until the customer physically lays hands on the item. Auber obviously has a commercial account with FedEx (as noted in the email regarding Auber contacting their "local FedEx account manager"), and should resolve the issue with them. The customer paid for a product, and did not receive it. Auber should have shipped a new product to the customer immediately, and taken up the claim with FedEx.

If this type of thing happens more frequently that Auber would like, and they have problems receiving reimbursement money from the claim, then they have the right to change shipping companies. Also, it would be a good idea for Auber to require signatures on all orders over a certain monetary value to mitigate issues like this regardless of carrier.

Bottom line, if Auber wants to provide good customer service, then they should have made certain that the customer received the product, as described, in the least amount of time possible. Making the customer wait for claims, or pay additional money with the promise that they would "pay him back" is bad customer service.

Auber shouldn't have to hold your hand. The receiver of the package is more than capable of contacting the shipper and instructing the care of delivery. Again, there are only two parties possibly at fault here:

1. The OP, if he had not designated a different delivery method with the carrier.
2. The carrier, if they did not follow the instructions the OP gave with regard to package delivery.

It is not as though Auber changed the shipping method that the OP chose after he made the purchase. He was clearly aware of how the package would be handled on Auber's end. It is the transfer from FedEx to OP that is in error.

That's your choice. I would personally prefer to do business with companies that actually seem to care that I get the items that I pay for.

There is no doubt in my mind they care you get what you ordered, I just don't believe it's their fault that the delivery location specified by the ordering party is unsecure.

I am going with Option 2. I already have explained my situation to Auber over and over. FedEx will only deal with the shipper and all they will tell me is that the claim from Auber was processed on the 25th. In all I am left with no other choice than to call my bank and file a dispute with the charge.

I have also sent Auber a link to this thread so they can view their potential customer's responses to this issue.

Ok, so I'm a vendor and I suffer quite a few losses due to USPS incompetence. The bottom line is that if you use a shipping method with no signature confirmation, you have to be willing to eat the losses. Sure you can offer economy shipping where you stipulate that losses due to shipper misconduct or drop theft are not covered, but then you have to offer premium shipping. That's confusing and clumsy. I have a policy that when I'm shipping something of substantial value to what looks like an urban area, I eat the cost of signature confirmation as a tiny bit of business insurance. Most of my losses are for shipments that fall under that arbitrary threshold and it's just cost of doing business. Auber is thinking about their bottom line for the week, not the year and years after that. Silly silly.

I want to say first off I ordered from Auber and had a problem with one of my temp probes. They replaced it and sent me an envelope to return the defective one at no cost to me. I will say that I would think it would be in their best interest to take care of this as to protect their reputation. I understand their point but how is it right if they recieved the money from the customer and also recieved money from fedex for the loss? Maybe I missunderstood that part. I dont think there is anything wrong with the OP posting this here he has included his correspondence with them, I wouldn't say he is bashing them.

I want to say first off I ordered from Auber and had a problem with one of my temp probes. They replaced it and sent me an envelope to return the defective one at no cost to me. I will say that I would think it would be in their best interest to take care of this as to protect their reputation. I understand their point but how is it right if they recieved the money from the customer and also recieved money from fedex for the loss? Maybe I missunderstood that part. I dont think there is anything wrong with the OP posting this here he has included his correspondence with them, I wouldn't say he is bashing them.

Agreed. And it could very much be a cultural thing. I deal with Chinese sellers all the time, and it's very common to them to hagel over everything. It's just not how we do it here, it's not expected and not appreciated by the masses.

I will say they have neat looking stuff, but that means nothing if we all are shyed away from them from this post. Auber, fix it.

I bought my stuff from Auber and upon receiving it, I noticed that i was missing an item. I called the number on the packing slip, explained my problem, sent a picture of the contents as per their request and had my missing parts 3 days later. The customer service was good for me. I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

It's obvious that when they realize they've done something wrong or sent you defective part, they take responsibility for it. On the other hand, when they have done everything right (assuming everything goes right) that it's not their fault. Customer service is not always about fault. When I was brand new to this business thing, it took me a while to figure it out and even a single loss due to shipping company "fault" felt like a punch in the stomach. However, to be viable long term, you sometimes have to eat it.

No disagreement that if you, as a vendor, want to provide to your customers that's fabulous. Nobody is saying don't do that if you want to because you think it's the right thing to do.

The bone of contention is the expectation you should just because the recipient's delivery location was unsecure.

I have purchased from Auber Instruments and have been happy with the order. The order came quickly and as expected. I will order from them again.

I can understand your frustration in not receiving what was purchased. Auber shipped your item and it was delivered as promised. The loss was beyond their control.

If I was in a similar situation, I would consider it fair to receive a replacement unit at cost. I also would trust Auber to credit me the additional expense if they receive a credit from FEDEX.

Theft sucks.

No disagreement that if you, as a vendor, want to provide to your customers that's fabulous. Nobody is saying don't do that if you want to because you think it's the right thing to do.

The bone of contention is the expectation you should just because the recipient's delivery location was unsecure.

I think the part that has the OP annoyed, and why I tend to agree is that FedEx has implied to the OP that they have/will cover (at least some) of the cost if/when Auber files a claim with them. Which would imply FedEx is taking on the responsibility for the stolen package, and providing compensation to Auber. If this is actually the case, why do you expect the OP to take this loss, when Auber doesn't have to? The real issue that appears to have people annoyed here is that if this is true, Auber is trying to make MORE money off the situation.

If this is not the case, I would suggest Auber provide some details (to the OP atleast) as to what FedEx would/wouldn't do for them, as they appear to be implying to the OP they are providing compensation to Auber.

The real issue is a more secure delivery point. This thread wouldn't exist otherwise. We'd be talking about how great that new Auber controller is.

The real issue is a more secure delivery point. This thread wouldn't exist otherwise. We'd be talking about how great that new Auber controller is.

If FedEX has paid Auber for the loss, as was suggested above. Then they have already assumed responsibility. Likewise if Auber had used this payment to send out a new package with signature required or that it be held for pickup, we would also be hearing about how great Auber is....

You are refusing to accept the possibility the FedEx didn't deliver the package at all, which is more remote possibility but only FedEx can prove and since only Auber can deal with FedEx....

As I said, if FedEx has refused to do this, the Auber should provide details to the OP as currently FedEx is making Auber look like the bad guy.

Ok, so I'm a vendor and I suffer quite a few losses due to USPS incompetence. The bottom line is that if you use a shipping method with no signature confirmation, you have to be willing to eat the losses. Sure you can offer economy shipping where you stipulate that losses due to shipper misconduct or drop theft are not covered, but then you have to offer premium shipping. That's confusing and clumsy. I have a policy that when I'm shipping something of substantial value to what looks like an urban area, I eat the cost of signature confirmation as a tiny bit of business insurance. Most of my losses are for shipments that fall under that arbitrary threshold and it's just cost of doing business. Auber is thinking about their bottom line for the week, not the year and years after that. Silly silly.

100% agree with this.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, or maybe I'm just naive, but I don't get the whole going on about the unsecure location thing. Seems to me it's common practice for deliveries to apartments and condos to either leave the package with the building manager/front desk or if that's not an option to leave a delivery notification slip; since there is no way to know who might happen upon an unattended package.

Newest email from Auber. So happy that they have pointed out my current issue has caused them to require signatures for delivery. No progress in resolving the issue at hand though. I am nearing the point of just saying fu*k it and going back to propane. Been checking the dumpsters and CL with no success.

Hello Mike,
Following is a communication with another customer. I think it will be useful for you to be aware of it. I think customer with this type of situation will be appreciated if they read the experience you had.

Hello xxxxx,
Recently, a customer of us lost a package at a apartment address. He posted his experience on the Home Brewing Forum, It caused a hot discussion. We feel that protecting our customer's order from stolen is most important thing to do. To prevent this from happen again, we started to require signature deliver on all packages that are shipped to apartment address. The cost of signature deliver (>$4) is paid by Auber and free to our customer. Here is the link for this discussion. I hope you can appreciate for why we are doing this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/beware-auber-instruments-393655/#post4952409

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

Newest email from Auber. So happy that they have pointed out my current issue has caused them to require signatures for delivery. No progress in resolving the issue at hand though. I am nearing the point of just saying fu*k it and going back to propane. Been checking the dumpsters and CL with no success.

At least they are handling it correctly for future customers, and it shows the power good or bad customer service and a bunch of nerds on a web forum can have.BobbyM had it right in his post, just a cost of doing business in the long term, that is why he is a top knotch vendor and hbt member.

Don't give up on electric man, get the charge reversal and buy a bcs! You won't regret it.

Why don't you plant a fake box with an exploding paint container on the inside so that the thief will get whats coming to him...

That or stake out and take pictures from your car and then call the cops.

Might be able to find the missing items and solve your problem all together.

Why don't you plant a fake box with an exploding paint container on the inside so that the thief will get whats coming to him...

That or stake out and take pictures from your car and then call the cops.

Might be able to find the missing items and solve your problem all together.

Agreed! We should change the focus of this thread to how we can **** with the thief, ie. I like the exploding box idea but instead of paint let's go with feces. Yes I am vindictive.

In my experience both as a shipper and a customer, I am surprised that Auber is taking this stance. I recently had a package arrive partially damaged, when I called the vendor, they replaced the entire order even thou half the order was undamaged. No questions asked. I never even contacted the shipper.

As a vendor I would much rather have a internet posting out there telling what a great customer experience I had from my company. This obviously is a polarizing topic, and it will be for any future potential customers for Auber who read it. So it has the potential to drive future customers away. It really appears that Auber is much more interested in the short term financials, than they are in long term financials, which in its self says a lot about the company. Certainly the take away for me is that Auber does not have a customer first policy.

I have been happy with the Auber products that I have purchased in the past. Where before I would have automatically ordered from Auber in the future, I will probably now reevaluate any future purchases in from them.

In the case of damaged goods in shipping I would as well expect (generally speaking) the seller/shipper to cover it because damage in shipping is mostly the result of poor packing on the seller/shipper part.

In the case of damaged goods in shipping I would as well expect (generally speaking) the seller/shipper to cover it because damage in shipping is mostly the result of poor packing on the seller/shipper part.

How can you be sure? Maybe it's the fault of the buyer for allowing the package to be delivered to an unsecure location. Someone may have come along and kicked the hell out of the package! :mug:

Good customer service is making sure your customer doesn't get screwed, regardless of whose fault it is.

Good point. The buyer is responsible in that case then. Thanks for pointing out that possibility.

I think Auber took the right step for their own good and that of the customer making signature delivery mandatory for certain locations. Of course, some will be pissed about that too because then they have to try to find someone to accept their delivery.

In either case of damaged goods or stolen goods, FedEx would pay back Auber for the same amount, and the customer needs to have the goods re-shipped.

What you're saying that if the item is stolen, then it's the customer's fault and he should eat the additional costs, but if it's damaged then it's Auber's fault and they should eat the costs?

What if the package was stolen off the truck? What if they dropped it at the apartment manager's office (where FedEx should have delivered it anyway), and someone stole it from there?

I think this distinction people are making is silly. The customer never got the items they paid for. Now Auber is saying they need to pay MORE to get that same item. It doesn't make any sense. Until Auber makes good on this, I am done with them. If Auber was so worried about recovering the full amount, they could have required a signature or insured the package for that amount to begin with (at an extra cost), but they took the risk of NOT doing those things and lost in this case. Suck it up, Auber. These things happen.

What you're saying that if the item is stolen, then it's the customer's fault and he should eat the additional costs, .

Yup. The customer specifies the delivery location. If you roll the dice with a simple drop off delivery location that is sketchy then it's on you.

but if it's damaged then it's Auber's fault and they should eat the costs?

Yup. If the item is not packaged to handle the known rigors of shipping then it's on them.

Of course there can be times when even normally appropriate packing doesn't withstand an errant forklift tine or whatever. Then it's on the shipping company/carrier.

What if the package was stolen off the truck?

Are you serious? Do I really need to answer that?

What if they dropped it at the apartment manager's office (where FedEx should have delivered it anyway), and someone stole it from there?

Are you sure that's FedEx's policy?

Assuming for sake of discussion that it is FedEx policy, then the office manager is responsible to maintain security of the package they accepted.

Customer has a contract with the seller to supply an item.

Seller has a contract with the shipper to deliver the item to the the customer.

Item was not delivered to the customer.

Yup. The customer specifies the delivery location. If you roll the dice with a simple drop off delivery location that is sketchy then it's on you.

Ever order something at a restaurant and have the waiter bring you the wrong thing -- then when you try to send it back the waiter tells you that you ordered wrong? Is he right -- probably. Regardless, this is poor customer service.

Again, you seem to miss the main issue of the OP.... FedEX has implied to the OP that they will do something if a stolen item claim is filed. He is told only the shipper can do this, he is then told the claim by Auber has been processed. Once again implying that Auber has been reimbursed some amount for the error, and implying that FEDEX has taken at least some (perhaps all) responsibility.

So either Auber should explain to the OP the facts (what they have or have not recieved from FedEx) if this is not true, or if this is true Auber should absolutely re-ship the items otherwise they are attempting to turn a profit off the theft of the OP's package.... (by keeping the money FedEx provided and then re-charging the OP).

You can also make the customer service argument that they should have covered it regardless, but thats a different discussion. My issue is the implication that Auber has received some form of reimbursement and is not passing this on to the customer.

FedEx should know whether or not to drop off packages at an apartment front desk. OP mentioned that this is usually what happens. Therefore, it's FedEx's fault entirely, because they've likely delivered packages before, and would know that it is standard procedure to do it. It makes sense to drop off at an office not only for package safety but for convenience/speed to the delivery driver. OP is in no way to blame if the standard delivery method is to an office and FedEx just decided not to do it this time. OP would naturally assume that the package would be safe if it was SOP. Makes me think FedEx stole it.

Standard delivery process is to the address and apartment number specified. If you want it to go to the office then put that in the ship-to address.

It can all be very easily avoided by being clear rather ambiguous about where you actually want the package to end up.

Do your delivery person a favor...don't make them guess where you want that package to actually go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back