Better to age stouts at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
The status quo is to age beers at 55f in order to prevent stale flavours as a result of oxidation, but are stouts the exception seeing they are filled with melanoidins that create sherry-like flavours instead?

Would it be better then to age it at 65-70f in order to speed up the ageing process?

I age things at room temp but that's out of lazyness and not any specific scientific method. If i had a walk in cooler in my house i'd use that but until that dream comes true......bulk age @ room temps for me.

Great question.
I started to cold crash a stout in a keg last night and then quickly changed my mind and put it back at room temperature. I want to age this a couple of months and thought maybe I should let any left over yeast clean things up. Now I am wondering what would have been the better way to go.

Looking forward to hearing some advice.

Thanks,
Cam

I don't know about advice for which temp is "better," but I've been on a stout tear lately. And I can assure you that serving temperature (40F average) will age a stout nicely. I have a roasty one that's been in a keg for about 4 months, and it has dramatically smoothed out in that period. I believe it is about 12% roasted malts, black as night. It is nearly gone now, and tasting its best.

Back