Potential mold introduced to stout, impact on aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtone

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I just finished fermentation on a milk stout, 6.5% abv. It looks, smells, tastes great so far, so I transferred to a keg with the hope of aging in my basement (60 degrees ish) for a few weeks. Following my normal routine, I hit the keg with some CO2 and purged it a few times to remove the O2. After I was done, I noticed that I had spots of mold growing in my CO2 line. I usually don't sanitize the CO2 lines (lesson learned, sanitize everything). I am not sure how it developed, but I am guessing that with my last keg, I pulled a CO2 tank out of my kegerator, and the difference in temperature may have caused some condensation that I didn't notice, which later developed into mold when the line was stored.

Now I'm assuming I pushed some particles of that mold into my stout. I have read different things about whether it would actually take hold and grow in there or not. I think I have a few options:

1. Ignore and age normally at aging temp (50-60 degrees).
2. Go right to cold storage at fridge temps (38 deg), which will inhibit mold growth, but might also sabotage the aging process.
3. Throw in some campden tablets, keep at room temp and kill off anything still alive in there, but would create sulfur that I would have to air out and could impact flavor.

Other ideas? Am I overthinking it? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back