Better option than rubber stopper for air-lock and blow-off tubes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcactus

Reaction score
I currently use drilled rubber stopper to hold the blow-off tube on my better bottle and to hold air-locks on my 1-gallon jugs I'm using to ferment smaller batches. The stoppers keep sliding into the neck of the bottle and are then a huge paint to get out.

Am I just pushing them in to far? Or using to small of a size?

Is there a better option than stoppers (e.g. something like the better bottle air-lock caps).

There are caps for carboys and better bottles that you can slide an airlock in. They work fairly well but in my experience they are easy to knock off.

My thought is that you are using way too small of stoppers. I use stoppers on my 4L jugs without problem. The stopper does not need to go very far into the mouth of the jug. Just enough to get a good seal and not fall out on its own accord. I use a 6 on my 4L jug, which probably works on your 1 gallon jug. They are fairly easy to knock off, like the carboy caps I discussed above, so you have to exercise caution around them and when you move them.

Definitely get bigger stoppers.

The larger (upper) diameter of the stopper should be big enough that it absolutely won't fit into the neck of whatever you're using unless you beat it with a hammer or something. The smaller (lower) diameter should easily fit in.

Ideally you want it to stick snugly right at the middle of the stopper.

Find some tubing with the same outside diameter as the inside diameter on your carboy/bottles for the blow off. I have better bottles and although expensive I like their stopper. You never have to worry about it falling in.

Back