Better Bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
Still researching wich equipment kit to buy and was wondering if there are any negatives to Better Bottles? For the same price as glass they seem a whole lot more "Homer Proof" I hate to think of five gallons of beer all over my floor if I were to accidentaly break a glass carboy. That could be considered alcohol abuse! The accessories seem a lttle pricey but other than that??

I'm a very recent convert; I broke a glass carboy a few weeks ago. I just use all my standard accessories with the exception of larger stoppers, so I would say if you don't want to spend the money for the branded accessories, go for it anyway.

Worth their weight (even though they weigh nothing ;) ) in gold. The accessories are actually cheaper. Buy the 5 gallon cap and it will fit the bottles for racking. No need for a carboy dryer...use a plastic cup. No reason to carry around a 6.5 gallon glass carboy anymore. There are some that will argue that glass is the "true" way to brew....but let's "K.I.S.S." !!!! I have both and only use my glass when I want to brew multiple batches. BTW...thay take #10 stoppers.

People rant and rave over Better Bottles and say they are worth the price. The best part is that they will not not let air permeate, and have a wetting agent that doesnt allow liquids to soak into the plastic itself, so they dont pick up odors if clean correctly. Being lightweight is a plus as well. The only down side to them so far has just been the price.

The plain 5 and 6 gal bottles are great. I personally haven't invested in the ported ones, and other acessories because the price does seem high. Not having to worry about glass breakage is one thing, but I'm not so sure that these wouldn't crack or break if dropped from a decent height on a hard surface. Not going to test that one. Still I'd rather clean up five gallons of beer, than 5 gallons of beer and glass.

They are what they claim, but I would'nt invest in the racking port again the port is slow and mine leaked at first until I figured a way to tighten it. The racking port just is'nt worth the investment. It's soooo easy to siphon it over!!!! But to be fair I've never broken a glass carboy after many years of use but I treat them very carfully knowing exactly what I'm handeling every time I pick one up.

BB's are the way to go. They are light and you can carry them with one of those orange carboy handles. The only downside I have found is when racking via using carboy caps you can't use the BB as the vaccum vessle ( like siphoning from your kettle to BB ) i.e. you can't suck on the carboy cap to create the siphon.

I'm curious about these things. It certainly looks like they just took water jugs and scraped off the part on the bottoms that says "For Water Use Only". I'd be interested to see an actual, third-party, test of their permeability and plastic leaching properties.

I just joined the Better Bottle Club this past weekend. so far, love it.

As to the permeability question - PET's properties in this regards are pretty well-established. I'm not sure why people seem so determined to save $10 or $15 by using a water cooler bottle with unknow composition, when having one bad batch as a result will waste $20 - $40 of ingredients plus hours of time. I've never heard of a single issue with someone's Better Bottle resulting in an O2-tainted beer, but I *have* heard that same issue with water cooler bottles.

BB are nice, but for my uses #2 HDPE buckets work just fine. We'll see how weird my primary smells after this latest batch that included star anise :)

I am a convert too....just so much safer.

One disadvantage for me is that I can't use a BB for a primary because I can't use the wort wizard to siphon the beer into it because of the negative pressure thing.

Other than that, they are a breeze to move, clean, and eventually I'll replace all of my glass carboys.

The only problem I see with them is that morebeer.com (best prices ftw) is backordered on the 6 gallon ones, which is holding up my order of 1-6 gal and 3-5gal...

ColoradoXJ13 said:
The only problem I see with them is that morebeer.com (best prices ftw) is backordered on the 6 gallon ones, which is holding up my order of 1-6 gal and 3-5gal...

Without question, the cheapest place on the web that I have found to buy Better-Bottles, and where I have purchased all
of mine from, is Quality Wine and Ale Supply.

Yeast Infection said:
morebeer.com = free shipping (on orders $50 or more)

That's free shipping on orders over $59, but I digress. Free shipping doesn't make up for the fact that they don't have them in stock. Quality Wine and Ale Supply had one drop shipped to me from the manufacturer when they were out of stock.

Thanks Guys. My local BrewShop has them for a little more than most but they are offering a free accessory of my choice and 85% off any other if I buy one. So it sounds like hands down it's Better Bottles for my BrewLab. Thanks again and Happy Brewing.:mug:

I want to get a 6 gallon BB with racking assembly for my primary. I'm tired of siphoning my beer into secondary and having to deal with all the trub and holding my siphon tube in place...I'd much rather open the valve and drain into secondary. I also need to get a ball valve and hopstopper for my damn kettle as I end up with way too much in the way of trub. So much stuff, so little time:D

Dan

I am relatively new to homebrewing. I decided on the BB's for my original equipment. Yes the racking outlet is a bit pricey and will leak if you don't tighten it correctly. I can't imagine anything being easier for racking than the closed loop, no atmosphere contact system though. If you don't want to get the racking outlet, the orange dual outlet cap with a sterile filter and racking cane that B3 sells is an equally ingenious solution. http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18872
Either one seems to me to be so much less fuss than an easy siphon or Wort Wizard.

raceskier said:
I am relatively new to homebrewing. I decided on the BB's for my original equipment. Yes the racking outlet is a bit pricey and will leak if you don't tighten it correctly. I can't imagine anything being easier for racking than the closed loop, no atmosphere contact system though. If you don't want to get the racking outlet, the orange dual outlet cap with a sterile filter and racking cane that B3 sells is an equally ingenious solution. http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18872
Either one seems to me to be so much less fuss than an easy siphon or Wort Wizard.

I agree with the first part.

However the wort wizard is mainly used to transfer wort from the brewpot to a fermentation vessel when both are on the same plane. Neither carboy caps or racking outlet apply here.

I got one (6 gal) for Christmas this year, and I'm planning on getting a second or third some time soon. I've been using it as a primary, and using my glass carboy as secondary. The BB is sooo much nicer, just because the weight makes it easier to carry, clean and store. They rock. :rockin:

I got a 5gal ported better bottle, and go figure the racking cane fits rite in. No more siphoning for me! :D Mine also leaked at first... just took about 2' of 3/4" tubing and tightend her up.

I want to buy one of these. I brew 5 gallon batches and am going to use this for my secondary/for lagering. A 5 gallon will be enough right (that sounds stupid)?

Beerrific said:
I want to buy one of these. I brew 5 gallon batches and am going to use this for my secondary/for lagering. A 5 gallon will be enough right (that sounds stupid)?

Yup. For a secondary, a 5 gallon size is perfect. For a primary, get the 6 for fermenting/krausen room. You don't want any extra head space for clearing in the secondary.

Back