Better Bottle Heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech211

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Better Bottle on a heat panel. I'm am talking about one of these: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/home-brew-heat-panel.html.

I just used one with a brand new Better Bottle hooked up to a thermostat set to 68 degrees. I developed a divet on the inside of the bottle and a crack running along it. I was just wondering whether the heat had something to due with it. In the alternative, has anyone used a bottle with a brew belt? I think the heat output is about the same.

I have never used these (texas) but I would definetly blaim the divot on the heater, I dont know about the crack, for plastic typically deforms or melts under heat, and doesnt crack.

I cannot speak for the heat pad but I have and do use a brew belt. I have had no problems but then again I only put it on near the end of primary and for a day or two of secondary. Usually on for at most like 4 days. Works better on the 6gal vs my 5 gal bottle. In fact the brew belt warns against using it on glass as it is designed for plastic fermenters.

I cannot speak for the heat pad but I have and do use a brew belt. I have had no problems but then again I only put it on near the end of primary and for a day or two of secondary. Usually on for at most like 4 days. Works better on the 6gal vs my 5 gal bottle. In fact the brew belt warns against using it on glass as it is designed for plastic fermenters.

it also warns against using it on a wort below a certain SG, like the ones you get near the end of a fermentation or in a secondary fermenter.

This method works fabulously with better bottles (also glass carboys):

Water_Bath1.jpg

The water bath is heated with a cheap ($15) aquarium heater. These heaters are great because they are precise (some fish can't tolerate any small shift in temperature) and they have a built-in thermostat so you can dial in the exact temperature you want to maintain.

The water bath is far superior to a fermentation belt because it buffers any abrupt temperature swings, and ensures a very consistent and stable fermentation temp. And, the whole setup is VERY cheap.

That is a slick setup Flyguy. I was thinking about purchasing a brew belt but changed my mind after seeing your setup. Thanks for the pics & explanation. BTW - congrats on the ice hockey gold medal - great game :) Montanaandy

I had thought about something like you posted, Flyguy. I probably saw your setup before, or one alot like it. It is slick. However, I have an old fridge that I wanted to use for a duel warm/cold chamber depending on whether I was brewing a lager or ale, so I got a heater and a Ranco controller. Now I'm invested and couldn't see switching.

Back