Best way to aviod a hangover!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what is the consensus? OP, is this only from Homebrew? If so it may well be the fusel alcohol like was mentioned somewhere in these 4 pages.

I am one of those people that, upon getting a hangover, hurt the whole next day. I mean to the point that I am nausious and have a killer headache and have to take a half hour nap after every 50 minute period of wakefulness to survive. Food in the morning definitely helps relieve it as well as sugar and caffiene. Though I am one of those who am unable to eat anything for at least an hour after waking.

My college solution which worked well, and seems to help when I remember to do it is to take a multivitamin and drink a large glass of water before bed (a heartburn pill has been added as I have gotten older). When you wake up in the middle of the night to pee, refill your bladder with more water and possibly another multivitamin though you can hold off until morning if you dont wake up.

My logic was that hangovers = dehydration + malnutrition or vitamin difficiency + withdrawl.

Only two of those factors can be managed if you are drinking and getting drunk, so rehydrate and get those drunk munchies in you. The multivitamin replenishes vitamins because, usually the drunk munchie food isnt all that healthy.

From my research since I get nasty hangovers now it is a combo of things.

Dehydration, definitely, drink water, Gatorade, etc

Inflammation, yup, take ibprofren before bed

Lack of good sleep, I have two young kids who get up at 5 am, hard to sleep it off

Toxins. acetaldehyde mainly. As we get older, we cannot process this as much. Especially since we are exposed to so many other toxins in the world, our bodies can be overloaded. Milk thistle, namely the chemical in it, helps detox acetaldehyde

Exercise. I exercise regularly. I find working out when hungover does wonders. It is horrible to do, but it works

So you just need to find what works for you.

Pretty sure everyone has covered this but, hey, my two cents is worth... maybe half that right?

I don't take Aspirin or Ibuprofin as I'm pretty sure my liver has it bad enough as is. I do find that making sure I drink some water while I'm drinking helps. I've also definitely found a glass of water before bed with vitamin B12 is great. Lastly, I make an electrolyte drink (I use Nuun tablets) and set it by my bed and drink it whenever I wake up during the night.

That plus making sure I have the opportunity to get enough sleep the next day seems to eliminate, or at least reduce, my hangovers. I can usually get up and manage a moderately paced bike ride the day after assuming I didn't get into the hard stuff the night before.

Of course, I have also noticed that as I have gotten older, the margin for error is slimmer and when I do get hangovers, they are full of ouch.

-- Nathan

The strangest hangover cure that I've seen is to eat two pieces of burnt toast before bed. I've tried it a few times and didn't wake up with a hangover. I don't know if I would have had one had I not eaten it, but I'm certain I was pretty hammered at the time.

I've read that activated charcoal is a good hangover cure so maybe charcoal bread is similar.

The strangest hangover cure that I've seen is to eat two pieces of burnt toast before bed. I've tried it a few times and didn't wake up with a hangover. I don't know if I would have had one had I not eaten it, but I'm certain I was pretty hammered at the time.

I've read that activated charcoal is a good hangover cure so maybe charcoal bread is similar.

I will try this tonight... With some blueberry jelly atop. For the palate of course

From my research since I get nasty hangovers now it is a combo of things.

Dehydration, definitely, drink water, Gatorade, etc

Inflammation, yup, take ibprofren before bed

Lack of good sleep, I have two young kids who get up at 5 am, hard to sleep it off

Toxins. acetaldehyde mainly. As we get older, we cannot process this as much. Especially since we are exposed to so many other toxins in the world, our bodies can be overloaded. Milk thistle, namely the chemical in it, helps detox acetaldehyde

Exercise. I exercise regularly. I find working out when hungover does wonders. It is horrible to do, but it works

So you just need to find what works for you.

I get up at 5 am every day and drink till midnight every night and I'm 52, the key is what you intake and don't, and of course exercise which I religiously do every day. I walk 6 hours a day and eat more protein every day than most people do in a week, most people are stuck in what the media wants you do do, not what you should do

1. Aspirin and other NSAIDS (ibuprofen, etc.) aren't metabolized by the liver, so would be perfectly safe regardless of how much liver toxin (alcohol) you ingest.
2. Regardless of liver metabolism, a single dose of Tylenol/acetaminophen will NOT cause your liver to implode if you take it after drinking. If you take too much, regardless of alcohol though, all bets are off. That being said the acutely toxic dose is literally 10 times the therapeutic dose.

I think I read somewhere something about ingesting spoonfuls of dry yeast before drinking. If I wasn't mobile I'd try to look it up and post a link, but I think Jim Koch of Sam Adams has been known to be a proponent of this

Ok....as I finished my Flatbread and second Stone Delicious I managed to look up this link, of course in a journal known for its scientific rigor and authority:

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/how-to/a26328/how-not-to-get-drunk/

I would've wondered it it just had to do with the fact that yeast has loads of vitamins but perhaps it's just an enzymatic breakdown of the alcohol prior to absorption? I would've thought the acidic environment of the stomach would prevent most non-digestive enzymes from being effective...

I may have to try it....one of those "not harmful, possibly helpful" interventions.

Dont do it. Jim Koch is just a functioning alcoholic. His yeast and yogurt 'trick' will do nothing for you but give you a severe case of mud butt in addition to your hangover.

I have a friend who said he was going to try it. I told him to not bother as it would have the effect live yeast does on a body that is not accustomed to so many probiotics. I asked him a couple days later how it worked. His answer, "You were right".

OK, so I am getting hangovers really bad, and I am not really even drinking that much. No hard stuff, just beer. What is the best way to avoid this?
Every has a different tolerance to alcohol. Even though you don't think you are drinking that much, your body is telling you otherwise. Cut your drinking by 1/3 and see what happens. If you still have hangovers cut another 1/3.
If you still get bad hangovers after that, you need to quit drinking.

Dont do it. Jim Koch is just a functioning alcoholic. His yeast and yogurt 'trick' will do nothing for you but give you a severe case of mud butt in addition to your hangover.

I have a friend who said he was going to try it. I told him to not bother as it would have the effect live yeast does on a body that is not accustomed to so many probiotics. I asked him a couple days later how it worked. His answer, "You were right".

I suppose...still many of us on this site are fairly accustomed to ingesting a fair bit of yeast as it is....

Day drinking. The older I get the more that day drinking gains my respect. Pollute yourself during the day and get to bed at a human hour. Add proper hydration and you have a chance.

For me its sleep and hydration mostly. I don't usually get hangovers from beer unless I stay up too late which I tend to do when drinking. So making sure I get 8 hours helps. If I want to have a few more drinks than usual and know I need to get up early, I drink Vodka since it has the least amount of "hangover causing stuff" in it. I typically go to Vodka and Diet Caffeine-free Pepsi, but I have found that Vodka and Gatorade, while doesn't taste the best, leaves me feeling the best the next day. The Gatorade makes it healthy right? :) Like Brawndo, It has Electrolytes! :mug:

David

Day drinking has always treated me pretty well. It allows me to get in an extra meal, water and possibly rec league ice hockey. If you can somehow will yourself through an exercise session, you'll be A-Ok the next day.

Hangovers are the best thing about alcohol. They tell you when you've been drinking too much and prevent you destroying your liver too quickly

Easiest way to avoid them is to drink less. Stay under about 30 grams of alcohol a day (max safe amount according to British medical advice). If you can't stay under that, think about quitting altogether

Latest posts

Back