Best Way to Add Oak Cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreckoncile

Reaction score
Quick question:

My RIS is in primary right now. The plan is to rack it to my carboy for secondary and add in some oak cubes that I have soaking in bourbon for a week. I'm just wondering how to do that. Do I add the cubes in first and then rack on top of them, do I drop the oak cubes in the carboy after I've racked into the carboy, or do I put the cubes into a hop/muslin bag and drop it into the carboy? I'm using only one ounce of cubes (toasted french oak) for ~4.5 gallons of beer, so I want to make sure I maximize the beer's exposure to the cubes. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I wouldn't bag the cubes. Let them roam free. I hope you plan on giving the oak enough time in the batch. Putting them into the carboy first isn't a bad idea. If you have CO2, I would squirt some into the carboy, and then rack the RIS under that (protecting the brew).

The plan is a month in secondary to really let the oak flavors seep in, but I'll start tasting small portions at two weeks to see how it's coming along. I don't have any CO2, so I can't do that, but the hope is that a month in the carboy won't be so long that the beer oxidizes too much and that the beer is malty enough where any oxidation flavors won't be too offputting.

How much are you expecting from the oak cubes? You might want to go for 2oz in that batch. After about 6 weeks you should have maximum extraction from the cubes. I would plan on going at least that long before going to bottles. I would also be ready to add more oak if you don't get what you want, and give it more time as needed (reset the 6 week clock if you add more).

Latest posts

Back