Best way to achieve 60 degree temperature fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got an extract kit of the Rougue Hazelnut Brown Nectar as a Christmas gift. The kit strongly suggests a fermentation temperature of 60 degrees and try not to go above 65.

I typically keep my carboys in my finished basement, which is carpeted. I'm trying to think of how to get the fermentation temperature down that low without keeping my house ridiculously cold. There is part of the basement that has an exposed concrete floor - would it be suitable to place the carboy directly on that to keep the temperature down?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Buy a digital thermometer at radio shack that tracks high/low temps and let it hang out for a couple days there and see how it does.

Personally, the back part of my basement is about 50 degrees from late December through early March while the front at the same time is about 60. It can be a huge swing depending on the particulars of your basement.

I think you will be okay...its not a perfect fermentation option but it will work. My basement is a constant 60 in the winter...it rocks. I just put my carboys in a cooler and forget it. I used to put them on the floor before i got a cooler though. Now I cold crash so I just start them in the cooler as well

I would suggest buying a rubbermaid tub and fill with some water. Add frozen water bottles as needed. It is cheap and effective however it does require constant monitoring to keep temps constant/correct.

Try your best to keep it in the low 60's for at least the first 4 days or so.

bosco

The keg tub and ice is the only guaranteed way. You could also put a water heater in the tub water if it gets too cold.

If you have the space and $150 you can make a fermentation chamber to control the exact temp with certainty.

If you live alone and you don't mind wearing sweats when you are home, then leave your windows open in a small lower level room. Set the carboy directly on your closet floor with the door closed. It is Winter after all. I would assume air temp for that room would hover around 48-58 F.

get a fermentation fridge, a small one even. for a total of $80 i got a wine fridge, a small fridge (both will fit a bucket or carboy) and a full sized fridge with a freezer for hops, all on craigslist.

Back